409 Aluminum BLOCKS!

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
impalamike.com said:
Not to be nosey, but about how much are 409 aluminum blocks - I like to dream!

VERY EXPENSIVE !!!! most likely more then any of us could afford,,,,
First price a stock aftermarket alum BBC block,,, starting at 5 grand !!!

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Would you buy a real 409 aluminum block for $5K???? I might be able to hook you up! It would be a nice stocking stuffer!

oil4kids

Well Known Member
Lamar told me awhile back his alum blocks were solid big block chevies (? keith black) his shop had milled to 74 degrees and redrilled the solid block for the 409 head bolt pattern and painted the block orange or black and kept it to himself for awhile

then he added his z11 heads and intake - but it sure looked like a 409 when i saw it up close

maybe Doug Marion could revist this in a new issue of Super Chevy which i believe he is now writing for

Lets write to JIM CAMPISANO, THE NEW EDITOR AT SUPER CHEVY.
(Jim.Campisano@Primedia.com and tell him we want more 348/409 articles

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Aluminum components

One thing to think about, aluminum blocks can be repaired. Pitch a rod out of a cast iron block, and throw it away. Throw one through an aluminum block, take the pieces to a weld shop and have it fixed for a minimal amount. I have seen this done. And, I mean some badly damaged blocks. On top of that, if you can't get it fixed, the aluminum has a core value. You don't think they throw those top fuel and funny car blocks away, do you? They get melted down into new blocks, if they can't be welded. Same with heads. Many good reasons to use aluminum. Initial cost might be higher, but they can be cheaper if you have any problems at all.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fred, How about a 62 Nova funny car with a fuel burning '09? I bet I could kick rods out of one of those! There were guys selling a beefed up BBC they run in Nostalgia fuelers. Why not an '09?

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have never seen an 09 on fuel. Would be fun to try. The only problem area would be the siamesed exhaust ports would get a little warm. Not sure how that would hold up to fuel. Alcohol should be easy, though.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SS425HP said:
I have never seen an 09 on fuel. Would be fun to try. The only problem area would be the siamesed exhaust ports would get a little warm. Not sure how that would hold up to fuel. Alcohol should be easy, though.

Fill the block !!!:brow

samgg

new 409 blocks

region rat said:
There should be a 409 block maybe by the end of the year. Iron is cheaper to produce than aluminum, mainly due to the cost of the sleeves. The material is a little harder to cast( aluminum) but the material is only a few hundred $$ higher. Nothing is written in stone but it is being worked on. Bob
I sure do hope that you are right about that new xcasting... who's supposed to produce it?