409 Block

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
We'd have to see pictures to be certain, but these water jacket cracks are generally repairable. There are several approaches, but the "Lock=n=Stitch" method seems to be a preferred solution. This will devalue your block to most folks, but it is repairable. How much will be in the eye of the beholder :).

I'd recommend having your blocks cleaned and crack checked at your local machine shop. Might cost $100 per block but it gives the buyer more information about making an offer. Buying an unchecked block is a bit of a crap shoot (ask me how I know!) and the more info you can pass along the more interested parties you will attract.

How many blocks do you have that you'd sell?

Cheers! TomK

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I had a 64 409 block that was cracked on both sides I repaired at home a couple of years ago with muggy weld. I had nothing to lose since they want 2K to repair the block and more to remachine everything after heating the block to death. The welding went great, I also added a little A-B epoxy for insurance. Pressure tested the block for over a 1 hour period, no leaks. Total cost for the repair was around $80, then I sold the Arc welder I paid $100 for $200 so I am up $20.

I have two passenger blocks, one with the crack. Second I have a .030 over block machined and clearance for a stroker, this block has been repaired on both sides also has been pressured tested. Third is a standard Truck block which has been checked for cracks and has no issue.

I will be putting an ad up for those as well as all my other 409 parts, stock and performance pieces. Also will be selling a few 62 body parts.

Thanks for the help,

Bill

SuperStocker409

Well Known Member
Second I have a .030 over block machined and clearance for a stroker, this block has been repaired on both sides also has been pressured tested. Third is a standard Truck block which has been checked for cracks and has no issue. I will be putting an ad up for those as well as all my other 409 parts, stock and performance pieces. Also will be selling a few 62 body parts.
Bill,
where are you located and have a asking price for the blocks?