409 engine

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Keep in mind that old fire trucks although usually have low miles, if they are pumper units they have a lot of idling time and pumping time. Still probably a good engine. My fire truck had 18000 miles. If it is a pumper, the pump on mine was huge and was solid brass. We could not find a sale for the pump so we dismantled it and the fittings, and got $1500.00 for the scrap brass. The bed is usually heavy metal also. Then you would still have the cab and chassis to sell to someone for a bed truck, or car hauler.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
[E="blkblk63ss, post: 247479, member: 3527"]Yes it would be a shame to trash it , but!!!!!!!!! Who want's a fire truck with a ordinary engine????[/QUOTE]

Theres alot of people interested in restoring antiquated fire equipment,I'd bet you won't struggle to sell it

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Don....just go get the fire truck. Don't do anything with it!!! I'll be down to Great Bend for a final City Council meeting in a couple of weeks and I'll come by.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Well called the contact guy direct and he had a little higher price than what i offered , but we ended up meeting in the middle, had to contact city council guy to approve offer.Will get it thursday and plan on driving it home ,so i now have a fire truck with a 409 in it.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I've always wanted to start a Volunteer Fire Department!!! Now that I live in the country...................................
Sheeeew...........Don't tell Candy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Well called the contact guy direct and he had a little higher price than what i offered , but we ended up meeting in the middle, had to contact city council guy to approve offer.Will get it thursday and plan on driving it home ,so i now have a fire truck with a 409 in it.
Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:clap:clap

Lonnie

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cool...:beer
If you run the lights and siren on the way home you won'the have to stop at any lights and everyone will get out of your way...:shock1

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
It has to go 200 mile's ,i hope it makes it. :scared:scared He said they used it every so often ,so it's not like it set for a long time. I won't be pushing it like i'm going to a fire!!!!!

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It sounds like the truck is just out of active service. If it is and all equipment like hoses and ladders are there it should be kept complete for historical preservation.