409 High HP 2x4 Intake Coming soon Plus Z-11

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
It depends on what you put it on. A mild 409 inch engine won't see that type of gain but, a 470+ inch engine with a big roller, extensive head modifications, etc could definitely see 100 hp increase. All depends on what the build dictates.
Definitely a big picture setup. If the cam and other parts don't support the extra power, you'll never see it.

Supporting Member 2
This manifold will make a very noticeable improvements even on stock 409 engine.

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Sideways Holleys would have to be all mechanical. No progressive or vacuum rear dump in I would say.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
With "normal" mounting the carbs will have the idle and part throttle circuts on both sides of the engine,sideways puts them on the same side .Side ways holleys will need to be mechanical secondary and for fuel distribution,will have to be direct linkage.This is a 'race only' set up,not at all suitable for the street.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Some sideways have a primary(idle circuit) on opposite sides but correct generally no vacuum will fit sideways that way. Even DP on our dual quads don;t fit sideways a 4224 will with a trimmed linkage on pulling the vacuum dashpots and making them mechanical.

Last edited:

Supporting Member 2
Both vacuum secondary's and progressive will fit on this manifold and work fine.
Some of the primary linkage might need to be trimmed below the throttle plate on some carbs.
The engine doesn't care what way the carbs are facing inline or sideways.
We use progressive HP series dbl pumpers all the time, they have proven for us to be the best for power and drivability and they are completely happy on the street also.
I personally would never use 4150 series vacuum carbs on this manifold, it just doesn't make sense.
Carl

johnnyriviera

Well Known Member
I have the CRW version of the intake running sideways double pumpers with four corner idle circuits. No problems on street for me.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Manifold looks great Carl. Do you guys have any HP numbers to compare say the 881 to the Edelbrock dual 4 to your manifold? I would be curious what gains could be expected with it.

I dug this Yellow Bullet thread up for another post...
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=564294&highlight=lamar
I noticed that in post #13 he mentions that a manifold similar to this was worth 90 extra horsepower over the factory manifold.

As others have said, the gains wouldn't be nearly as big on a milder engine, but it sure does seem to work well.

409 Chevy Performance

Well Known Member
Received McQuillen Blower intake manifold and installed it on a 348 block 3755011, stroked to 4.00, 6.385 rods, bored to 4.185 for 440 c.i. Installed Blower shop 6.71 blower with 2x4 holleys 600 cfm. Engine dyno by John Beck Racing. dyno results are torque @ 4800-5000 654 ft. and made 717 HP 6400 rpm on 91 octane pump gas. The Carl McQuillen intake fit perfect and we had no issues with the install. High quality of workmanship on the intake!!!

Attachments

• DSCN7791.JPG
    DSCN7791.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 221
  • DSCN7792.JPG
    DSCN7792.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 230

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Received McQuillen Blower intake manifold and installed it on a 348 block 3755011, stroked to 4.00, 6.385 rods, bored to 4.185 for 440 c.i. Installed Blower shop 6.71 blower with 2x4 holleys 600 cfm. Engine dyno by John Beck Racing. dyno results are torque @ 4800-5000 654 ft. and made 717 HP 6400 rpm on 91 octane pump gas. The Carl McQuillen intake fit perfect and we had no issues with the install. High quality of workmanship on the intake!!!

That sounds great!:clap But, what about at least one picture of this engine?:)