409 High HP 2x4 Intake Coming soon Plus Z-11

Supporting Member 2
No plans for casting the Z11 intake at this time, very small demand.
Thanks for inquiring.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Received McQuillen Blower intake manifold and installed it on a 348 block 3755011, stroked to 4.00, 6.385 rods, bored to 4.185 for 440 c.i. Installed Blower shop 6.71 blower with 2x4 holleys 600 cfm. Engine dyno by John Beck Racing. dyno results are torque @ 4800-5000 654 ft. and made 717 HP 6400 rpm on 91 octane pump gas. The Carl McQuillen intake fit perfect and we had no issues with the install. High quality of workmanship on the intake!!!
:D:cool::bow that is super nice.

Gav

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Carl, put a lot of time & money in this project
Let's get some of these intakes sold !!

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You are absolutely correct, the runners are the maximum length to allow this manifold to fit under a stock hood with some work. We have seen some significant performance gains over the stock intake even with these shorter than optimal runners. If the market was there, we could produce a taller version with optimized runners (several inches taller) but this would require hood modification-- what do you think?

Another sneak peek
24625425601_d32af8d2d5_n.jpg
It would be nice to have one that could be trimmed to suit but I bet you guys have a real good idea of what is the best.
Makes me wonder how one of these would work on Toms stroked engine in his SS with the heads from Dan and a new cam of choice. Then drop it in the BA 409.
Probably not enough compression to support one
Sorry guys was just day dreaming.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe I'm crazy but would a cross ram set up make more sense to keep things under the hood? Basically build out rather than up. I'm more interested in finding a cross ram set up rather than a tunnel ram style set up myself. But M.T. only made so many of those odd balls.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Maybe I'm craup but would a cross ram set up make more sense to keep things under the hood? Basically build out rather than up. I'm more interested in finding a cross ram set up rather than a tunnel ram style set up myself. But M.T. only made so many of those odd balls.

To find a crossram....pricing pretty comparable......no real hp numbers.....would be nice to see an actual intake comparison of the available intake manifolds.....stock,eddy,crossram,speedport,McQuillen

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
It's my understanding from one of BSL 409's earlier posts is that the McQuillen will fit under a stock hood.Eariler post indicate that the cross ram is exceedingly difficult to get air filers on them.The cross ram design is better suited to under 6,500 rpm,where as the McQuillen will pull to well past 7,000 with the right engine combo.Both manifolds are quite streetable according to people that have used them.The Mc Quillen is cheaper,the crossram is hard to find,more expensive when you do find one and most of them need work due to age and abuse.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My guess is gravity is the reason for the runners going down rather than across.
A real good friend of mine spent some time in M/T shop and made a comment about Mickey answering the phone a bunch of time with people complaining about the cross ram. And he would say that that intake was made for a boat and slam the phone down.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
To find a crossram....pricing pretty comparable......no real hp numbers.....would be nice to see an actual intake comparison of the available intake manifolds.....stock,eddy,crossram,speedport,McQuillen

So it's safe to say that almost anything is an improvement over the original factory piece. I know most of us don't have the facilities or a "mule" to test on, but what Keith proposes would be really interesting. I have the factory intake carb combo on one engine, and I am currently running a Holley on Aubrey's Speedport. And I still want to set up 2 Demons on an Edelbrock (and/or McQuillen) intake, but a more orderly test would be really informative.