409 NATIONALS AT DRAGWAY 42s ROCK N RACE JULY11-14th 2024

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hi Bryan, will try to make this race (been a few years)....just need to get my new TKX 5 speed installed this winter and should be ready to go!
If you need help on installation I have done 2 TKX installations on my 62 409 cars. i have some pictures.
You need a new replacement shifter ( with bolt on handle ) to match the factory 4 speed shifter location. New TKX 5 speeds do not come with the correct shifter to fit the factory 61-64 4 speed shifter location.

I used the factory 4 speed tunnel cover for the TKX ( it was moved slightly from the 4 speed location were it was screwed to the factory floor pan over the rectangular factory 4 speed hole in the tunnel.
I purchased the correct TKX shifter from Modern Driveline - they knew which shifter was needed to fit my 62.

I have a “template for the rear transmission mount” that I had made to bolt to the factory frame mounts.
The mount I had made was curved to use the factory frame mounts, since the TKX has a rear transmission mount located about 3” further back from the factory BW 4 speed or Muncie 4 speed rear transmission mount.

I had the driveshaft shortened and switched to 1350 U joints ( from stock 1310 u joints) with a billet carrier bearing and changed to a front slip joint driveshaft section required with a slip joint driveshaft. All for my 530 HP 409 stroker motor and for 9” Ford rear end installed last year.

Paul

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Hi Paul, thanks for the info....i bought the offset shifter (400.00) to go thru the factory 4 speed hole when i bought the TKX...i already have the 1350 u-joints, but would be nice to have your rear mount template. I was going to try and build a similar rear mount like i did for my 200 that was in my bubble top which was a little over 5" back from stock (also made it to pick up the stock frame brackets)...plus i will use a local shop to shorten my slip joint shaft. Looking forward to driving this trans...heard great things

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is the mount I had made. I sold the extra one I have to Tom K from the forum. He has not installed it yet.
Its was originally made for a Richmond 5 speed. I/they just modified the slots in it to fit the TKX.

Note that it was made to bolt to all 4 holes in the frame mounts.

IMG_0028-001.JPGIMG_0029-001.JPG

IMG_0008-007.JPGIMG_0013-004.JPGIMG_0014-005.JPGIMG_0015-005.JPG

Paul

No409

Supporting Member 1
so wheres everyone gonna stay, if westfield is not available. ive been looking, most places are 15-20 miles from track( which is no problem) would be rad to have a bunch of us at same place like we did at westfield