409 pilot bearing

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Holy Moly!!!! I always thought a crank was a crank was a crank. Wrongo!!! 65 parts book has 4..........61-62, 63 400HP & 425HP, 63-64 340HP and Z-11. They give ID numbers but don't have time to check if that's in the casting number of the crank. More later...............

Maybe the 63 H/P cranks were made out of different material. I can't imagine a crank for M/T and a different one for A/T??????

Phil

I'll let you and Cecil try to figure that out. The engine in my Biscayne has a 422 block and is stamped QB but had no bushing? I don't know if that means it has had the crankshaft replaced or the reason for the different bushing diameter. I normally use the needle bearing type but since it wouldn't fit I looked for one that would.

It seems to be a pretty common problem so I hope this helps someone.

Bill

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I went by the motor shop today to check on my motor, I checked the casting number on the crank, it's a 072, that's a '61 409 crank and none of the 3 bushings that I have bought will go in it. Tomorrow the machine shop is going to make me a bushing that will fit.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I went by the motor shop today to check on my motor, I checked the casting number on the crank, it's a 072, that's a '61 409 crank and none of the 3 bushings that I have bought will go in it. Tomorrow the machine shop is going to make me a bushing that will fit.

Do you know what diameter you need?

dean409

Well Known Member
Took the Dorman # to Peppy Boys. $20.99. Will have it tomorrow. It shows as a Motormite part, to adapt "from Powerglide to 4 speed" (that just sounds so odd to me). I'll put a magnet to it before I pop it in. Our machinist replaced the bushing in the 409 we put in my brother's '58 so I've never dealt with this difference in sizing, just assumed they were all the same.
So, can someone tell me for future reference, are the early motors common on this (265/283/348/327)? My '60 348 had a cast iron PG so I never knew any different.

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The 348 Turboglides crank were different too. as I recall and it seems there were more turboglide 348s than any other .

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Took the Dorman # to Peppy Boys. $20.99. Will have it tomorrow. It shows as a Motormite part, to adapt "from Powerglide to 4 speed" (that just sounds so odd to me). I'll put a magnet to it before I pop it in. Our machinist replaced the bushing in the 409 we put in my brother's '58 so I've never dealt with this difference in sizing, just assumed they were all the same.
So, can someone tell me for future reference, are the early motors common on this (265/283/348/327)? My '60 348 had a cast iron PG so I never knew any different.

The price seems to be all over the place, Summit Racing wants 12.99 and Oriely's only wants 2.99.

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I just looked a little farther and the Dorman site shows it as being used on automatic to standard shift conversion. If a crankshaft is replaced who knows what you have.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/itemdetail.aspx?ProductID=18310&SEName=690-034

963ChevroletBel AirV8 327 5.3L (5358cc)Only Used For Automatic Transmission Conversion; Powerglide to Manual Transmission; O.D. 1.060"
1963ChevroletBel AirV8 409 6.7L (6704cc)Only Used For Automatic Transmission Conversion; Powerglide to Manual Transmission; O.D. 1.060"
1963ChevroletBiscayneL6 230 3.8L (3769cc)Only Used For Automatic Transmission Conversion; Powerglide to Manual Transmission; O.D. 1.060"
1963ChevroletBiscayneV8 283 4.6L (4638cc)Only Used For Automatic Transmission Conversion; Powerglide to Manual Transmission; O.D. 1.060"
Bill

I just picked my motor up from the shop and the Dorman bushing above is what it takes. Why don't they just list this as being for a 409, it has nothing to do with any conversion. It's my fault but cost me 600 bucks and 3 weeks delay.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I just picked my motor up from the shop and the Dorman bushing above is what it takes. Why don't they just list this as being for a 409, it has nothing to do with any conversion. It's my fault but cost me 600 bucks and 3 weeks delay.

Can't answer that but it appears several people have the same problem.

Glad it helped.

Bill

dean409

Well Known Member
My engine's crank wasn't cut out for a pilot bearing. ( 58/348 Turboglide)
picturekodak-easy-share-photos-815-jpg.24114

Great info! I've always assumed all cranks are set for a pilot bushing. The next motor will get machined for a standard bushing/bearing.
Picked up the bushing, mics at 1.065". Just put the magnet to it, and unfortunately it has steel / iron in it. Now I'm perplexed.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I ordered a couple of the bushings from O'Riellys and picked them up this morning. They are magnetic but are a powdered metal material that is graphite impregnated. I have had one of these in my 63 Biscayne for about three years and no problem to date. Since I just pulled the engine I will look at the input shaft to see if there is any damage when I remove the transmission. If there is damage I will let you know.

Bill