409 powered 55 T-Bird repaired & UPDATED

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Well....all's well that turns out well!!!! I remember the evening at Steak and Shake.....things were pretty somber. But...you have survived and the car is much better today than it was before. Something to be proud of Clyde!!!!

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Thanks for the comments!!! Makes an old man even happier. :)

Been working on some of the many electrical issues problems.

Not to start a chinese bashing discussion but had trouble with the parking lights in the front. The parking light assemblies were new and installed by the good people in Ohio that did the great body work. Had all turn signals so the bright filiments all worked but couldn't get the low filiments to work for parking lights. Finally removed the bulbs and the low filiments were dead on both new front bulbs. Printed on the metal part of the bulbs was CHINA. They obviously have no quality control and also no quality either. Oh well, gives an old retired electrical engineer a challenge. Installed the old bulbs and they work fine. Next find out why only have low beam headlights but no high beam - suspect dimmer switch or loose wire.

Also, when I rerouted the heater hoses to keep them away from the headers I noticed a new brass petcock when I tried to drained the radiator. The old one worked fine but I guess the speed shop owner installed a new one because the rest of the car looked so good. I tried to open the new one but the handle turned and turned but the thing wouldn't open. Had to remove it to drain the radiator but it works good as a plug.:doh Don't know if it was made in china.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Clyde, I read every part I buy to avoid China like the plague.Those bulbs probably have mercury or other dangerous crap too. I'd avoid Auto Zone too, unless you're buying oil or wax.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I wouldn't say parts made in China have not Quality Control, rather than had the Quality Controlled right out of them!

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
A chinese part that I won't have to buy = headlight dimmer switch.

Last night I removed the dimmer switch from the old 55 T-Bird and saw that it could be disassembled with out destroying it. I really like those old parts that can be fixed (in this case no cost) and not have to be replaced. The switch is almost 60 years old and just needed cleaned up inside.

Next electrical problem is to find out why the brake lights in back come on when the head lights are turned on??? Can't drive at night till I fix that.

Two grandsons are arriving today to spend a week or till they get home sick. They are 15 year old cousins so maybe I can put them to work. They will probably spend a lot of time on the ATVs as usual. Fun to watch them change from little kids to more grown up young men. Only two of the four this year, the other two have jobs, cars and girl friends. This maybe the last year for summer visits for these two youngest.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Clyde, Enjoy them while you can. Hope one of them has an interest in wiring. It may spark something for both of you!!

wally72974

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Good for you Clyde! I'm happy for you. I'm glad that you and you wife are ok. I'm glad the motor turned out the way you wanted it to.
Maybe you could post a video of the car and motor running on YouTube? I saw your motor on YouTube.:cool:

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Clyde, as I started to read your post i was thinking is there going to be another accident,especially passing that semi. Glad everything turned out ok. I like those early bird"s too.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Clyde, as I started to read your post i was thinking is there going to be another accident,especially passing that semi. Glad everything turned out ok. I like those early bird"s too.

I haven't replied to all posts but here I think that I am being admonished for passing a slow moving vehicle on a well maintained federal divided highway with two wide lanes in both directions. The truck that I passed was about 10 mph below the posted speed limit and in the right hand lane and was speeding up then slowing down repeatedly. I used the left hand lane (passing lane) to go around the truck and broke no laws that I am aware of (well maybe I went a bit over the speed limit briefly). People pass slower vehicles and if not on a two lane road on a hill or blind curve it should be an acceptable thing to do. I don't think I exposed anyone to danger. I don't think being admonished is warranted! Perhaps you are a very conservative driver and that's not a bad thing. I have become more a more conservative driver in my advanced age but I suppose I do revert back to my youth some times.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Hell Clyde,Most of us would have done the same thing,I know I would have!:crazy I'm really happy that the "Bird' is alive and well.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Clyde, if you wanted to stay behind slow trucks, you most likely would have kept the old y-block!!! I know I would have done the same or worse.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Clyde , it just sounded like a two lane only, all clear now, put the petal to the metal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a good day!

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Put your foot in it Clyde!! That's what it was built for!! No admonishment from me!! :clap

Lonnie

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I'm with Lonnie, hammer down Clyde, if you think it is safe to pass driving a souped up 409 powered t bird, that's good enough for me. I hate being behind people who change speeds continously, they either can't drive or have no manners.

Lay some rubber and don't let your car rot sitting around doing nothing.:laugh:dance

Don

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
clyde , i was not saying you did anything wrong or dangerous , i just had it in the back of my head as i was reading your post that something was going to happen again cause your car was hit earlier which i did not know till you mentioned early in your post and i was expecting more bad new's .Sorry if you thought that. I was glad all turned out good for you and your car , again i apologize.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
clyde , i was not saying you did anything wrong or dangerous , i just had it in the back of my head as i was reading your post that something was going to happen again cause your car was hit earlier which i did not know till you mentioned early in your post and i was expecting more bad new's .Sorry if you thought that. I was glad all turned out good for you and your car , again i apologize.

I hope the car and wife and I will not be involved in another incident. It seems like people zero in on nice old cars but I really hope that there will not be another. Maybe lighting and Frito-Lay trucks don't strike the same 409 powered 55 T-Bird twice. :pray

No apology necessary - we are all friends here. :)

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Clyde was in Columbia this Saturday, and he stopped by to say hello. I was prepping the '62SS to take to the local Boone County Fair, where my local club was sponsoring a car show. Most of you probably remember that Clyde ordered one of these new in 1962 (and it was a convertible to boot!) so I thought he might be interested in a trip down memory lane. I snapped a few pics of him in the driver's seat, then took him for a ride around my local circuit. A good time was had by all!

Best,
TomK

Attachments

• Clyde in the 62SS.jpg
    Clyde in the 62SS.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Clyde in the 62SS 2.jpg
    Clyde in the 62SS 2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 5

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
THANK YOU TOM!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday I went to Columbia, MO to an auction to perhaps bid on some lawyer type stack bookcases but they were not in very good condition so I decided to drive by Tom's house and see if he was home. As I approched his house I saw that one garage door was open and his nice white 62 SS was outside.

We talked a bit and he invited me in to his basement to see some of his collection. Going through the garage we passed a complete 409 all painted and ready for use. I hadn't been in the basement since three years ago when Tom sold me a set of stock 11 to 1 pistons for my truck engine. There now must be at least half dozen 348/409 engines complete and painted and Tom knows what's inside of each one of them. We didn't go up stairs but I'll bet he still has that 409 engine in his office.

When we went back outside Tom ask if I wanted to go for a ride in his 62. He probably got the idea that I would like a ride when I begain jumping up and down saying YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!! Once under way Tom reminded me to fasten my seat belt - I don't remember seat belts in my 62 but if it had them I didn't use them. I hadn't been in a 409 powered 62 Impala since I had mine back in 1962 till I sold it in 1965. Right away I noticed familiar things like the grab bar, floor shifter for the 4 speed, dash layout, etc. I did notice a few things that were different. Tom's car has a Hurst floor shifter that seemed so smooth as he went through the gears. My stock shifter wasn't nearly as good. Another difference was Tom's stroker 409 has much much more power than my stock 409/409 had.

Again THANK YOU TOM for the ride in your car!

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
The Beach Boys wrote TWO songs about Clyde's car,,, "409" and "Fun Fun Fun" ('til her daddy takes the T Bird away) :cheers

Good call! T-bird's lookin good, I love the torq thrust wheels. Put some slicks on that thing and see what she'll do at the drags! BUT, with 4.30's and a 700R you might be blowin slicks away!