409 powered 55 T-Bird repaired & UPDATED

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
IMG_0640 (Small).JPGIMG_0644 (Small).JPGIMG_0645 (Small).JPG
Good call! T-bird's lookin good, I love the torq thrust wheels. Put some slicks on that thing and see what she'll do at the drags! BUT, with 4.30's and a 700R you might be blowin slicks away!

Been working on the wiring so haven't been driving. Difficult to remember the wiring changes I made back in the late 1960's but I think I have most of it fugured out but must check gas and temperature gauges. When I run the engine to warm it up the temperature gauge seems to work but need to check further. Needed different tack so I fluffed up the box of old used tacks and found one that fits in the T-Bird dash and works with the 6AL box. Can't install tack till the speedometer is in place.

The only slicks I have are the old 14 inch 7 inch wide ones that I used back in the 1970s and 1980s. I bought them used so don't know how old they are. They worked fine back then with the stock 409/torqueflite/4:30s. Even if these old tires were usable (they look good) I think Ronnie's engine would be waaaay toooo much for them. If I ever get any money I have to get some 15 inch tires.

Attachments

• IMG_0637 (Small) (Small).JPG
    IMG_0637 (Small) (Small).JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 5

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Long overdue, I finally decided to update the 409s ignition system. I have been using points in my 348 and 409s since 1960 but a while back I told Ronnie that I took the T-Bird out and ran the rpm up and didn't think things were as they should be and that I thought it was a fuel delivery problem. Changed my mind after I went for another ride and noticed the tach was a little erratic so got rid of the points.

After Ronnie's engine was installed I added a 6AL triggered by a stock single point vaccum advance distributor. The 6AL was an ignition step up. Another step up, I now have replaced the points with a Pertronix IGNITOR so that I could keep my distributor and minimize cost. The basic Pertronix IGNITOR (not the Pertronix II or III) has two versions; the oldest has a ring of magnets fitted under the distributor rotor that trigger the Pertronix module located about where the points & condencer was located, and the newer version that has only the module which is triggered by the lobes that used to actuate the points. I used the newer version.

Went for another ride and the engine is happy. The Pertrnix triggers the 6AL box so now I have an electronicaly triggered Capacitive Discharge modern ignition system. :)

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The Pertrnix triggers the 6AL box so now I have an electronicaly triggered Capacitive Discharge modern ignition system. :)

Say that real fast 4 times after drinking a 6-pack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Congratulations Clyde...........you're doing a great job!!!!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Hey clyde, why you trying to make it so fast, does your wife's name happen to be bonnie????? just kidding,{ i know what it is } look's like you got the bug's out , now get out and do a little cruising before we get that ice age like cecil say's were in, Ha Ha. :D:D

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Say that real fast 4 times after drinking a 6-pack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil, at my age after drinking a 6-pack I couldn't say anything fast or slow!

Great story with a great ending!! Congrats Clyde ~~!!! :clap

dq, looking forward to seeing you in Kansas next year - still remember that great photo you took at Thompson of the lineup of crossed flags&409 emblems.

Hey clyde, why you trying to make it so fast, does your wife's name happen to be bonnie????? just kidding,{ i know what it is } look's like you got the bug's out , now get out and do a little cruising before we get that ice age like cecil say's were in, Ha Ha. :D:D

Went for a little ride yesterday and on the way home there is a nice straight wide two lane bit of highway and no traffic so I thought I would stop and make a 1st gear start and run through the gears but when I slowed down and was in 2nd gear I saw a car coming up behind me so I nailed it in 2nd gear. This engine has incredible power. This is the fourth 409 in the old T-Bird and the best of the previous three did 12.55 @ 110 back in the 70s and 80s. Ronnie's engine makes that engine feel tame. Im having fun but I need some good tires to cope with the engine power.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Clyde, more questions, Have you had a chance to monitor cruising rpm at 65mph? And, do you plan on attending any of the "All Ford or Thunderbird" meets next year? Boy, would that be interesting to see how you were accepted.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Clyde, more questions, Have you had a chance to monitor cruising rpm at 65mph? And, do you plan on attending any of the "All Ford or Thunderbird" meets next year? Boy, would that be interesting to see how you were accepted.
:brow:dance

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

I think he has been to many of theT Bird shows before. The old T Bird crowd are likely a bit like the Corvette clubs, I don't think they would welcome a vette with a Ford motor?

Don

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Don, I found our local T Bird club to be WORSE than the Corvette clubs. A few years ago, I was seriously considering restoring and old T Bird. I went to a local car show and found about 10 old birds parked together as a club outing. What I found was a bunch of grey beards sitting in their lawn chairs ignoring anyone that dared ask any questions about their cars. Lets just say they were not too chatty. I seriously doubt that this bunch would even get out of their lawn chairs to look at a 409 powered Bird. Leo

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6

Just got back from a local car show, their first show and it was display only called RUSTOBER FEST. There were some nice cars and trucks and lots of cars and trucks that had some rust. No 348 or 409 stuff at the swap meet there.

Ronnie, on the way home I turned onto I-70 and at 65 mph the tach showed about 2200 rpm and at 70 mph the tach showed about 2400 rpm. I don't think there are transmission speedometer gears to make a 700R4 read correctly with 4.30 rear gears. Judging by the mile markers my speedometer is almost 10% high so I took that into account. Wonder what Ray's speedometer is like with his 700R4 and 4.56 rear gears.

This is the first time the speedometer has worked in years and it's a wonderful thing to know how fast you're going. Had to use the tach on the trips to Thompson and Ellen and I got acustom to driving that way. Don't know if I should tell her that the now functioning speedometer at an indicated 70 mph, the car is only going 63 or 64 mph. :dunno :)

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I've been wanting to ask for some time if you have had any comments from Tbird guys, good or bad. I'm also curious how you happened to put a 09 in a Tbird?

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Would have replied earlier about the Thunderbird Club feelings about engine transplants into T-Birds but got side tracked - youngest daughter, son-in-law and grandkids came out for a visit and a shooting session. They brought some rifles and a couple of pistols and burned up some ammo. They have gotten pretty good at shooting and I was favorably inpressed by the attention to safety.

I don't know much about the Corvette Club but one of our members, Tom K in Columbia MO, has a Corvette and he may make some observations. The Corvettes are all single seat cars but only the 1955, 1956 and 1957 Thunderbirds (except the modern ones) are single seat. I think the Corvette people like their cars to look nice and are also interested in performance whereas the show car Thunderbird people are only interested in their cars looking nice and don't give a hoot about performance, after all what kind of performance can you get out of a 292 or 312 Y-block without a supercharger???

The thunderbird people are just like any group of car people; there are those people that have restored cars that are so nice and the owners want them to stay that way so they are not driven on the street much, or nice cars that the owners take the chance of a little wear & tear and drive their cars on the street and maybe the strip, and those that have cars that show their age and a history of use. I agree about the show car Thunderbird people. They seem to have as abundance of money and like to get together and show ther cars and talk among themselves about whatever they talk about but not their car's performance or lack of. The thunderbird club that I belong to is the CTCI (Classic Thunderbird Club International) and welcomes people interested in the 1955, 1956 and 1957 Thunderbirds (single seaters). Before I retired and moved to the country I belonged to the St. Louis chapter also. The CTCI has several shows around the US every year. They are held at big hotels and are for the most part attended by the car show thunderbird people. I don't have much in common with these people and the shows are big doller events.

As to the engine transplant tolerance of the thunderbird people, most understand that engine changes took place many years back when a guy wanted more power than the 292/312 could provide. Can't speak for others but I wanted a thunderbird for the looks. I was able to buy mine when it was 10 years old and it was at the lowest value - paid $1500 for it and it had been repainted several times and the old 292 was about on it's last legs. The engine smoked so bad I was embarrassed to drive it. One night after a couple of beers I wondered if the good old 409 that I saved after selling the 1962 Impala would fit in the T-Bird - it fit great with a Torqueflite and a Dodge 8 3/4 rear axle. Been 409 powered since about 1968.

Years ago I drove from St. Louis to Detroit for the CTCI 20th anniversary of the Thunderbirds car show. Car looked prety good back then. The car with the non factory engine was accepted. My car wasn't the only car with a non-factory engine. Also, there were a couple of stock thunderbirds that didn't arrive because of mechanical problems but my 409/Torqueflite/Dodge rear axle car drove there and back home just fine. I believe most people are pleased to see an old car on the road, engine transplant or not. There were only 50,000 single seat classic thunderbirds built and a big number are gone.

Would I do the engine transplant all over again? I think yes. There lots of restored thunderbirds and many thunderbirds with different kinds of engine transplants. I can look back through the years and recall some really fun times with my 409 powered T-Bird. I like the looks of my T-Bird and I like the power of the 409 especally this 409 engine.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I forgot to mention in all my rambeling, regarding acceptance of modified classic thunderbirds, that the Classic Thunderbird Club International and local club chapters have seperate classes at their car shows for each of the three years for stock thunderbirds and for modified thunderbirds.