409 Questions

409acoupe

Again been a long time since i've been on. Not enough hours in the day. Cars finished on the road etc. Now that it's insured and spring is here i have been doing some short shake down drives and of course chasing a few gremlins. One being the outboard carbs on the tri power. I fully rebuilt the carbs with speedway's tri power base kit with progressive linkage and the issue i have run into is the fitment of the throttle blades in the bases. one of the bases is fine but the other the blades fit like crap bleeding air and making the center carb non tune-able. They are supposed to be lapped and fit air tight but needless to say this one base isn't even close. The bores seem fine, it's the blades themselves. Reached out to speedway and sent them pics and a week later zero response sad to say. So i have been sanding and test fitting over and over until i think i have them pretty darn good. Will be testing this weekend when i have time. In the meantime i also spoke with vintage speed who also makes base kits and sells just the bases themselves. They say they assemble and fit the units so the blades are perfect when they ship out. If i can't get mine right then i'll pull the trigger on replacements from them. shitty that i have to do that after spending good money on the speedway ones. I hadn't heard of vintage before i ordered speedway otherwise i would have definitely gone that route!
everything else on the coupe is great. no leaks, goes down the road straight, brakes work as well as drum brakes ever work. ha ha been a fun build. Looking forward to getting miles on her once i get the carbs sorted. 55872686_130939338021556_6720227374172667079_n.jpg
53641837_307464563279029_8889115920679331958_n.jpg

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I like that you didn't cut the top. It looks really good!! You are way ahead of me (obviously). I am curious - why did you go with the 2-belt pulleys on the car? Did you have to cut the trunk floor to clear the over-the-axle exhaust pipes?

After you get some miles on it, I would be curious to get your comments on the pusher fan and the 700R4/4:11's. It looks like I will also have to use a pusher fan (still awaiting some parts to come in to see if a mechanical will possibly fit) and I am using a 700R4/3:70's.

I really like the looks - nice job!
John

409acoupe

I like that you didn't cut the top. It looks really good!! You are way ahead of me (obviously). I am curious - why did you go with the 2-belt pulleys on the car? Did you have to cut the trunk floor to clear the over-the-axle exhaust pipes?

After you get some miles on it, I would be curious to get your comments on the pusher fan and the 700R4/4:11's. It looks like I will also have to use a pusher fan (still awaiting some parts to come in to see if a mechanical will possibly fit) and I am using a 700R4/3:70's.

I really like the looks - nice job!
John
Thanks. Yes my Dad really wanted me to leave it unchopped. The pulleys were on the motor when i bought it so just stuck with them. Yes we built a raised floor in the back which you have to do running the deuce frame not only for the exhaust but for rearend travel. She runs at 180 so far like clockwork. Now we aren't hot here yet so perhaps that will change. No room for a mechanical fan so have no choice really. It's a Maradyne fan that is rated for some big cfm so i would think it should be good. Rad is aluminum as well, it all helps. I installed a tci vacuum lockup kit but the converter kept hunting so i bypassed the switch which the kit allows you to do and made it so i can lock and unlock with a switch. like i said still getting everything happy so need some more miles on her to really get a good feel for everything. Happy for the most part so far.

409acoupe

Very nice cars. I would bet you get more looks and have more fun with the model a .:D
funny you say that. The three times i have driven the A this spring i have been accosted every time!! ha ha. The camaro gets lots of looks especially when i fire it up. (motor is a 500hp 383 with a big cam) but yes I think the A will get a lot of attention. especially being that traditional build, no fenders/hood and the 409 sitting there for all to see. I just don't want the unwanted attention with people that don't understand the look don't touch rule!!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Again been a long time since i've been on. Not enough hours in the day. Cars finished on the road etc. Now that it's insured and spring is here i have been doing some short shake down drives and of course chasing a few gremlins. One being the outboard carbs on the tri power. I fully rebuilt the carbs with speedway's tri power base kit with progressive linkage and the issue i have run into is the fitment of the throttle blades in the bases. one of the bases is fine but the other the blades fit like crap bleeding air and making the center carb non tune-able. They are supposed to be lapped and fit air tight but needless to say this one base isn't even close. The bores seem fine, it's the blades themselves. Reached out to speedway and sent them pics and a week later zero response sad to say. So i have been sanding and test fitting over and over until i think i have them pretty darn good. Will be testing this weekend when i have time. In the meantime i also spoke with vintage speed who also makes base kits and sells just the bases themselves. They say they assemble and fit the units so the blades are perfect when they ship out. If i can't get mine right then i'll pull the trigger on replacements from them. shitty that i have to do that after spending good money on the speedway ones. I hadn't heard of vintage before i ordered speedway otherwise i would have definitely gone that route!
everything else on the coupe is great. no leaks, goes down the road straight, brakes work as well as drum brakes ever work. ha ha been a fun build. Looking forward to getting miles on her once i get the carbs sorted. View attachment 69907
View attachment 69909

This TSB is aimed at the quadrajet carb but the same principle applies to all carb throttle blades, especially the 3x2 carbs on the 348. Basically steps 5-9 apply to center the blade and apply the DAG coating to seal them in the bore.

Throttle Blade Sealing TSB 68-T-1a.jpg

Throttle Blade Sealing TSB 68-T-1b.jpg

409acoupe

opinion time. Now that i have had a couple chances to shake the car down, i've noticed that on initial acceleration the motor seems to have just the slightest bit of dirty throttle response. What i mean is, it isn't a bog but it also isn't clean and crisp right at initial movement then it cleans up and is fine. when i get into the throttle and open up the secondaries, she pulls good and hard. Now a little back story, the new out board carb bases that came from speedway do not seal tight. the rear carb is worse. Spent some time sanding and fitting on the blades but the one is just way too small and would never seal proper. I am aware of proper set up and applying dag213 if necessary etc. have new bases coming that they are actually pre checking and fitting the blades before they ship them out. so this is obviously effecting initial idle set up etc. I've got it as happy as i can with the rear carb bleeding air. I'm wondering if i should step up to a slighlty bigger jet in the primary carb or give the pump rod a slight tweak. when inspecting the pump shot with the motor off it seems to give a good shot of gas. All three carbs are fully rebuilt. What's everyone's thoughts? :)