409 rod length questions

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
I have questions regarding different rod lengths for the stock stroke 409. Rod length is 6.010 factory, but I keep reading about using the BBC 6.135 or a longer 6.385 rods. I understand that longer rods need the pin moved upward and creates a lighter piston. Does this really give an advantage over the stock setup other than weight savings? Would a stock 454 rod be adequate or would it just be better to go with the 6.385 combo.
I'm in the planning stages of my 409 and I already have a fresh .010/.010 crank and resized stock rods to use. BBC rods can be had relatively cheap and can easily go any route at this stage, especially before buying the pistons.
Just curious about different ways to build it.
Thanks

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'd vote for longer rods every time, not so much for the length on a 3.50 crank, but because piston weight to me is a big deal. So BBC or aftermarket rods would lead to lighter pistons, hopefully with modern ring packs.

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
For a more ''budget friendly''409,I like the Icon 4 inch stroke piston,attached to a 6.,385 rod,using a stock stroke crank.You'll come up with about 10.5-1 [car block] compression,thinneer ring pack,lighter pistons.
Good to know. I have a notched block, so I think I will be less than that. Something else to think about. I will need to deck my block anyway. I could possibly make up some if they sit down in the hole some.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just my 2¢, if you are buying "custom" pistons there probably won't be any difference in price if buying them for 6.135 or 6.385 rods, The longer rod will make the piston lighter and take some load off of the cylinder wall.
Jeff

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I have a couple sets of 409 rods and a set of BBC 3/8 rods I'll almost give away! Good BBC rods are pretty decent priced-why pay for new bolts, resizing after new bolts on a 50+ year old 409 rod or even a better stick BBC rod.

Why the Pontiac guys started turning down the rod journal to 2.20 on 455 cranks to use them before anyone ever made reasonably priced forged rods! I have a $1000 set of Crower Billet Pontiac rods in my RAIV motor because of the price of the rarer heads.

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
Next question. Bushed or press fit rods? I tried looking at Showcars, but I didn't see anything stating on the pistons description.