409 truck engine?

dunhamfield

Well Known Member
I keep reading about chevy truck 409 engines but have not any info about what year and model trucks had them...:coffee:

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
dunhamfield , As far as I know, truck engines were same as passenger cars 1961-1965. Current price for a complete truck engine (uncracked) is $800 to $1200. This gives you a block, crankshaft, oil pan and timing cover. Personally I prefer truck block over pass. car block for all uses. Unless you are building a "correct" car. Finding one is getting harder to do, day by day. Hope you find one, gives you the foundation for a good build. Good luck

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Should also add that the #333 truck heads are becoming more popular to use because of soaring prices of high-performance heads.

M

MK IISS

dunhamfield: The truck version of the 409 was first released for the 1962 model year and continued thru the 1965 model year. The truck versions of the 348 and 409 were replaced for the 1966 model year by a truck version of the Mk IV engine....the 366 and 427.

I believe the 348/409 engine was available in the 60 Series and up.

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Also,

Replacement 409 truck engines were being produced on a hand assembly line at the Tonawanda engine plant until the mid 70s so there really should be quite a few left out there. (Wouldn't Fran be proud of me:D ) NUT

M

MK IISS

Nut: We are all proud of you.

It ain't the same without ole' Fran around. No fights...no insults. I miss him even though we had some serious battles.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
Richard

no fights, no insults! i can't say i miss that or not but it was exciting. whether we liked him or not we all probably learnt something from him. just like the 409 truck engine still being built in the 70s.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
348 truck blocks

In addition, the 348 had it's series of truck blocks as well. Earlier ones (late 50s) seemed to have two "eyelids" cut in the bore. I once saw a 1959 truck 348 that had a pair of cuts in the bore. These 348 truck blocks were still made after the 409 came out in 1961-2, and were made into the middle 1960s? I found what I believe to be a 1965 348 truck block, now in TomO's possession :). It had the single eyebrow much like the 409 truck blocks of that era.

I might be off a bit on the details, but someone will correct me if need be.

Best,
TomK

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nut, good facts. Its logical that GM couldnt quit total production of the truck motor because there were so many in use commercially. Couldnt just tell everyone to buy complete 366-427 when their 409s wore out. I had never thought about it before, until your post. Gearhead, agree with you completely. Fran was the Howard Cossell of the forum. So much controversy, but I must admit I learned from him. Too bad he had to take it too far. TomK, your post about truck motors seem solid to me. Im certainly no expert, but it all sounded correct.

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
348 Truck Engines

The '65 truck owner's manual(and all of my parts books) shows both the 348 and 409 available in the heavy trucks for that year.

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yes I learned from Fran

It is too bad about Fran because he did add a lot of facts to this forum that weren't available to anyone else. I learned some production numbers on 348s and 409s that I am VERY thankful for. As others here, I trully tried to talk sensibly to him in the past, hoping he would at least change the way he comunicated through his keyboard but obviuosly to no avail. It's certainly not my place to judge others, and there is always a reason for the way people act. I hope we have all learned form our experiences on this forum together including him.

Now, as far as truck engines go, as far as I can tell, the 348 blocks with two machined cut outs were used from 58-61. 62-65 (and beyond) used the standard car one machined cutout and special low compresssion pistons. (the blocks with two cutouts used standard 9.5 pistons) These 62+ truck castings are the ones that can possibly be bored to standard 409. All 409 truck blocks had one machined cutout and special pistons (409 car blocks had no cutouts) As mentioned earlier, the truck block works well with correct pistons to compensate for the cut outs. It has been said by some that the cutout actually benifits flow and increases performance:dunno

Here are a few pictures for reference The dirty block on the hoist is my 350hp 348 block (same cutouts as 9.5 block unlike I read in a certain book we tend to place to much faith in):rolleyes: The rebuilt block is a 409 truck with high compression pistons(I think this is Tom Ks?) The one of 4 pistons is a set of NOS 348 truck pistons from Phil Reed. (can you read the hand writing on the box?) The other pistons are 409 truck that someone was selling as just "409" pistons on EBay. I also own a 61 348 truck block with the two cutouts.

Here's another thread on this topic: http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3016
Hope this helps. NUT:)

Attachments

• #3755011-61-FH block.JPG
    #3755011-61-FH block.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 409 truck block.jpg
    409 truck block.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 409 truck pistons.jpg
    409 truck pistons.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 348truckpistons.jpg
    348truckpistons.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 90

art38

Well Known Member
Another Truck 409

Hi Guys,
I've been out of touch for awhile, too busy working. I check in the other day and saw this picture of my block and thought I say a little something and show the progress on my 38 Chevy. This 409 is a 65 truck engine. What is the best way to post some pictures.

Art38

art38

Well Known Member
Truck 409

Here's some pictures

Attachments

• 38CHEV_91204 030.jpg
    38CHEV_91204 030.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 38CHEV_91204 031.jpg
    38CHEV_91204 031.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 38CHEV_91204 035.jpg
    38CHEV_91204 035.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 133
  • 38CHEV_91204 036.jpg
    38CHEV_91204 036.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 61

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Art, Man, what a sweet ride!!! You must be very proud of that car. I know I would be. Thanks for posting the pics. I enjoyed.......

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
You bet!

I agree, those pics look great! Both the car AND the engine go together well :).

Cheers!
TomK

art38

Well Known Member
Thanks guys, hope to have it at the Goodguys show the first weekend in June in Colorado. This past year I missed everything because of work and also spent time redoing the interior. The interior is done in saddle and black leather combination, looks pretty good. Like I said it's a 65' 409 truck with Ross 10.5 pistons, Isky 292 hyd cam, 333 heads with the Big valve ( it can be done), roller rocker, and the dual quad Offy intake. Backing it up with a 700r4 trany. It's no race car, but moves pretty well in this lite car. I do need to find someone to tune the carb for me, that one thing that I was never very good at. Here's a picture of the 409 when I found it in Dec 03 in the junk yard.

Attachments

• w_motorpic 406.jpg
    w_motorpic 406.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 112

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
art38

Great job! Beautiful car:clap I couldn't remember who's engine pic that was:rolleyes: NUT

art38

Well Known Member
I must be honest, I could not have built the engine without the help if this website. All of you guys were very helpful through the process. And also thanks to Showcar, Curt (Mr 409) and Jack Gibb. Jack is where I got the 333 heads with the larger valves installed.

Art38