409 truck engine?

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
409 2bbl?

Art38, first let me say that you sure have a beautiful car. Although I'm not much of a car guy(as my name might imply), I can definatley appreciate all the time and hard work that went into it. You can be yery proud, indeed.

But I have to ask about the 2bbl carb on the engine in the picture. I've never seen a 409(not even a truck 409) with a 2bbl. Does it look to have been a factory setup? I've seen a few truck 409's, and they all had the Rochester 4 Jet like my 65 C80. I know the cars had the 3 deuce setup, but I didn't think any of them came with a single 2bbl carb. Just curious, I'm sure someone here knows for sure.

Again, congratulations on a beautiful car. Your efforts paid off well.

art38

Well Known Member
409 2bbl

I know what you mean. All I can say is where I found this, it may have come out of some grain cutter or some piece of farm equipment. Huge water pump, 4 bbl intake with a plate converting it to 2bbl. Exhaust was funny too, but that could be made funky by anyone. Every piston had to be broken out of its cylinder. There was no oil pan on this thing. You could see that there were mice living in the cylinders at one time. But when I removed the caps on the crank, the journals were like brand new, the bearing had created a great seal from the elements. I did have to sleeve three of the cylinder, but it is still only .030 over.

Art38

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
OldTruckNut

Yes some 348 and 409 trucks came with 2brls, I have a 60 348 C70 truck that came that way. It used a cast iron adapter plate on the 4brl intake. I have the setup off mine if anyone is interested.:deal :D NUT

Attachments

• IM000167.JPG
    IM000167.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IM000256.JPG
    IM000256.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 61

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Mystery Solved!

Thanks for the reply. The water pump looks like a regular truck item, but it's the 2bbl that threw me. I couldn't see if it had an adapter plate on it in the picture. That could have been done by anyone. And yes, I wondered about the custom exaust, too. Like you said, no telling what the engine was in before. You sure went through alot of work to save the engine, but it was well worth it. Thanks again.

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
348nut

Cool, thanks. You learn something new everyday. But now I'm confused again. That looks like the dipstick on the right side. I thought 348 dipsticks were on the left, and 409's on the right. That has to be a 348 because a 60 could not have had a 409, not factory anyway, since they came out in 61 and they didn't start putting them in the trucks till 62. My 65 C80 has the dipstick on the right also, and they're gone now, but I plainly remember the "High Torque 409" decals on the covers when I used to work on the truck 30 years ago. Also, according to the 1965 owners manual(which I realize is not bible) the 80 series only came with the 409, not the 348. Does the dipstick rule not apply to the trucks? What gives, Leroy?

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yes they used the larger 409 pans on the 348s in trucks Starting? This is interesting because if this is a original oil pan on my 60 (I'm not sure) then it predates the 409 and therefore the 409 actually borrowed the 348 truck pan when it was introduced!:dunno You can tell a truck oil pan from a car because the truck has the drain plug facing straight down and the car comes out the front. Also, the older 50s 348 truck engines used car pans. I think it changed in 60 but i'm not positive. It's kinda fun to put all this stuff together though. NUT

art38

Well Known Member
Truck Nut

348Nut
That the first time I've seen the truck engine in a truck being used. I see you still use the big water pump. You know I still have that pump and some of the item that I removed from the engine. If you want them, they're your, I know I'll end up throwing them out. Let me know.

Art38

MileHiSS

Supporting Member 1
Art where are you located? I also have a 409 with 333 heads (to be built) and am interested in your motor build.

dave in denver

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
trucks

hey art heres a truck engine still in service, and the two barrel carbs????? my wifes dad bought a brand new one in 62 with a adpt plate and 2bbl carb said it wasent worth a sh$t, went to the dealership and ordered a brand new 4bbl and had it put on said it was like finding another gear!!!!!!

Attachments

• truck6.jpg
    truck6.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 47

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Mr. Goodwrench

Man, I wish my C80 still looked like that. It's still solid as a rock, but the paint is pretty well gone. I still remember my truck when I used to work on it nearly 30 years ago. It was a fire pumper truck so it was kept clean and waxed regularly. The inside of the cab was immaculate, as was the engine compartment and all the rest of the truck. Back then it only had about 4,000 miles on it, and still looked and ran like a new truck.

I really have no need for a big truck, so I hope to use the engine and the cab(minus the fenders and running boards) on one of my pickups. That sure is a clean looking truck in the picture. What is it used for?

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
art38 said:
348Nut
That the first time I've seen the truck engine in a truck being used. I see you still use the big water pump. You know I still have that pump and some of the item that I removed from the engine. If you want them, they're your, I know I'll end up throwing them out. Let me know.

Art38
Actually I bought that 60 for the engine which turned out to be a remanufactured car block with truck pistons and heads. It is now the one in my 55 which is my avatar. I still have the truck and all the truck parts I took off too.
The bottom line on truck engines is the only ones not worth building are the 58-61 348 truck blocks with two huge machined notches in the cylinders. There is no good way to compesate for these.

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Mr. Goodwrench

Very nice hauler, for sure. I thought about fixing mine up to pull my 5th wheel camper, but with 2 kids it wouldn't be very practical. So I got a 1 ton Crew Cab that we can all ride in, plus I can use it for working around the place, so I'll probably retire my old 78 3/4 ton.

What series is your truck? I can't quite make out the number on the emblem, but it looks like a 50 or a 60, and they only used the 409 in the 80 series(or so I've read). Is it an 80 and I just can't read anymore, or was the 409 put in there?

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
It is a c-60 and has a 348 in it, I have a 409 to build for it but the 48 turnrd out to be a better engine than I thought so I decided to keep it in there. I have an 80 tandem axle truck for parts, and this last spring we bought a 65 c-80 low cab forward firetruck with 20,000k originall miles 409 5x2. I built a 42 foot drop deck for the c-60 made a pretty nice unit as long as you can afford to put the fuel through it. 409 was standard in a c-80 but you could get a 409 in a C-60 also, wifes dad bought a brand new 1964 c-60 409x5-2 with factory air brakes, tagged it and used to drag 73,280lbs with that little truck, and that was more busheles of corn or beans than he hauls with his kenworth at 80,000! he always says he used to haul it and now he drives it!!! how times have changed.

gearhead409

Well Known Member
i wouldn't give up on these truck blocks,a long stroke crank will take care of the compression problem. i don't know if the extra cut would cause a turbulance problem or flametravel problem on compression or not. think about this, the cuts in the 348 are smaller than the cut in the 409 truck block, two cuts in the 348 truck block may not add up to any more CCs than one cut in the 409 truck block.

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Trucks

Mine is a C80, 409 with the Spicer 5spd and 7.17 single speed rear end. It was used as the "out of town truck" till 1985 or so, then as a spare up until around 1995, then it was taken out of service and donated to our local fire dept which is how I eventually ended up with it. It has a little over 13,000 miles on it, but that doesn't count pumping hours. The pumper body had gotten to be in pretty bad shape over the years, plus they butchered it up to get the pump out for training excercises. So I cut the pumper bed off and shortened the frame so I can keep the truck under my carport out of the weather.

Mr Goodwrench

Well Known Member
heres one we just got out of the paint shop..... 1946 w-4 I better not say anymore on the 409 forum we could chat through pm's though.

Attachments

• 409.jpg
    409.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 409-2.jpg
    409-2.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 45

OldTruckNut

Well Known Member
Opps!

Sorry about that last post, didn't mean to get that far off topic. I'll edit it down.

Goodwrench, PM me if you have any other tractor pics. I'd love to see them.