409 truck engine?

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Don't worry about it.

Hey, We have one of those. A w-4. It's a fresh paint restoration, but we were using it this summer to pull a disc in our soil treatment unit here. We will be using it once a week for the next few summers. My dad had a piggy-back log loader behind it for years. I'm not much into old tractors, but we do have several that my dad had. Also mc and 420 JD crawlers that my dad bought new in the 50s for logging. A little off topic doesn't hurt anybody.:D NUT

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
"A little off topic doesnt hurt anybody". I should say not. I dont know the first thing about tractors, but if it is mechanical and old and somebody goes to the trouble and expense to restore, I enjoy reading about it. Especially if it is one of our members. Ive always been impressed with Mr Goodwrenchs truck. I dont think anybody puts more miles on a W-head motor than he does. A real work truck. If a conversation leads from a big W-head truck to tractors, then so be it, if some members want to discuss them. If not, it is simple enough to go to a different subject. That is one reason this website is so successful, people interested in discussing subjects that are common to many. Sorry, I got carried away, must be the time of year.

4onthefloor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Cars , boats, tractors and trains !!! Heck they put 409's in boats right ! I have 2 tractors for no apparent reason.....a Allis Chalmer WC that I restored and a Ferguson TO 20 !! I only have them because they are cool...I found a restored Oliver row cropper all restored...my wife said NO !!!

art38

Well Known Member
Hey I think this is cool about the old trucks. Makes me want to go find one of these old trucks and about converting to a car hauler. I'd have to first convince my wife, but.......

Art38

Well Known Member
saved my pennies,saved my dimes

I bought my truck s/block in 1978.$350 new,690 heads$75.00 ea.Crank was not as good as HP 1963 no angle on edge of journal.!I belive cut in block lets ex.valve flow better. giddey up!