409's in dragsters

wagon409

After owning a front engine dragster for a couple years, then being forced to sell, am thinking about getting another. I am a big 409 fan, and drive a 1962 409 wagon to school everyday and would love a 409 powered Front engine dragster. We have a 425 HP engine that needs some exercise.

Any pictures or stories about old FED's with W-motors....even better yet...with two W-motors?

Thanks,

Marc Rexroad

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome aboard! I don't know of any 409 dragsters but I'd sure like to see one. Mayby you could get it together in time for the 348/409 Convention next fall. It'd look pretty cool on a trailer behind your 62 wagon.

wagon409

Yea, used to pull the chevy BBC 476 FED with the 409 wagon. Custom receiver hitch and brake controller worked really well. I'll post a picture when I have a chance. Ran in the mid 8's with the FED, what a blast.

wagon409

Too cool, and fuel injected to boot.

I heard that there was a guy building a car called the gravy train that at the time it ran at a goodguys meet had one 409 and they were just doing shake-down runs before putting the 2nd 409 in.....Now that would be cool..........818 cubic inches of W-motor!!!

Twice as fine if you ask me.

Thanks for the pic...any more...especially from back in the 60's?

Marc

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
white knuckle?

That must have been one hell of an 8 second trip... Good luck with the new one

hrlykngt

Well Known Member
rail

this is the origonal sight where the pic of the rail was posted. I read somewhere on this site that this is the rail you refered to about putting two moters in it later.

I noodled around in my mind a rear engine bracket dragster for my wife with a moderate 2x4 409, I figured high 8's, but it would have been just for fun.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Errol Kampschroder

There was a guy, Errol Kampschroder, who campaigned a 27 roadster with a 409 in it. Errol lived outside of Topeka, Kansas. The car was called The Dutchman. Errol custom made an intake for a Hilborn fuel injection unit for it. Best time was 9.51 @ 149mph in the 1700# roadster.

I bought that engine about 13 years ago. Had it all this time and then sold it about a year ago. WISH I STILL HAD IT!!! Oh well...you know what they say about hind sight!!

I'll post a picture of it next week when I get back to the shop. We had it on a run stand and it would vibrate the whole building when we would fire it up!!! It will probably be at the convention!!!

Tony Salins

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
409 dragster

I own a 186" Rear Engine Dragster with a 409 in it. My wife and I bought the chassis in July of 2002. We rebuilt motor, trans, fit them into the rail and had it running by July of 2003. We spent the rest of last year racing it and getting a lot of seat time. Yes we both race the dragster! We have both been in the 10's with a best time of 10.03 @ 131mph. This is a very stock 409. It is .030 over, a nos Z-11 soild lifter cam and a single holly 800 cfm carb. We also own a 1962 Biscayne "409". We have owned it since 1971 (second owners). We are both gear heads and love to drag race both cars! We hope to see all of you at the convention. I would attach a picture but I don't know how. If anyone can help I'd be happy to attach some pictures.

JIMS409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Tony...we live about 20 minutes from RL. My wife has cousins there as well. Phil Reed told me about you once and we should get together sometime soon. I would love to see that rail!

:cheers

wagon409

409 rail

Now I am jealous.

My wife and I also ran Super comp for a while, she in a 468 BBC Rear engine car, me in a 476 BBC Front engine car. The ideas of mufflers and such pushed us to go to street machines(not racing on the street, just cruisin).

But a 409 rail...how very cool. Do people even know what they are looking at when they see it? I would love to have a recording of what people say.

Well, sounds like you have a neat ride...enjoy it, and don't sell...trust me on that one.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
409 RAIL!!!!!

Tony:

May I have the honors????!!!!:D :D :D

Your car is TOO good not to be seen here!!!!

This is Photo #1

Attachments

• dvc00154_0.jpg
    dvc00154_0.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 339

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
O,,,BOY,,,,, O,,,BOY,,,,,,, O,,,,Boy ,,,,!!!!

I CANT`T WAIT !!!!!!! Got my bags packed !!

Kansas City,,,, Kansas City here I come !! All join in now,,,,second verse same as the first !!

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
KC here I come.

When we all meet in Kansas City there will be so much 09 eye candy I will never want to leave. If Sept. doesn't get her soon I'm going to run out of dough! I'm running out of space in the trunk of the Impala. Air bags, fuel pressure regulator, new shift light, electric fuel pump, new 3/8" sending unit , DOT slicks, MSD distributor, 2.5" dumps. And on the phone with Scooter Brothers about a solid roller cam! Remember, my 60 is just a driver.

:beerbang

I am ABSOLUTELY blown away!. What a MORE than nice ride!. WOW!. Paint it black, put "Witch's Brew" on the side and it's my car!. Now, take off the headers, put on short stacks, take off the single four, put on 2x4's, 626 Carters will work, mill out the center dividers in the intake, and top it with a Hilborn type scoop.

Tell me more!. Transmission?, converter?,gears?.

PS: As sweet as your ride is, and it DOES blow me away, your 2 SECONDS off where it should be, OK maybe 1 and a 1/2. Wish I woulda done it now!.