409's in dragsters?

60convert

Well Known Member
wow fran

wow fran i have been busy and havn't been on this board in a long time, i very suprised at how you tell someone you don't even know what to do. from whet i have read i believe both you and your wife race, don't you do it for fun and for the challenge. One thim my dad tought me is when thinks "don't work" and people say you can't do that it won't work. is you prove them wrong, and show them you can do it. from what I read about him he really sounds like he has his ducks in a row, and one helluva idea that i for one would love to see progress.
so show us the picks as you progress
Jesse

SS425HP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Not to put words in his mouth, but I think what Fran is saying, is don't set out on this project thinking it will be competitive. It will be expensive, but showy. But, then again, the way drag racing is today, it isn't the fastest that wins. The car won't ( I think ) win in a heads up class, but anything can win in bracket racing, or indexed racing. Heck, today you can have a $50,000 engine in a rail, and get beat by a mom & pop owned station wagon. I HATE brake lights before the finish line. But, that is the game today. If I can beat someone, I want to do it as bad as I can. Not let up to keep from breaking out. When I was racing, if someone went by and patted the throttle, it was an insult, and battle ensued. That was opening a wound, and putting salt in it. Fight was on. Today, that's the way it is.
I still say it would be a neat looking deal, but do it for the eye appeal, not to be competitive. If you WANT to do it, go ahead. After all, it's yours. I'd love to see it, but I would never, myself, build it.
Good luck with the project.

Fred

M

Mr.Jimmy

Hey....I figured it out....well.....almost...he can shave some weight......with 2 Walden Alum. motors......Should we start a donation for him????? :clap I have a set of Z-11 gaskets I can donate to the cause!!!!

I apologize Wagon, your right, and you SHOULD go fo it, go after it, build this dream car. You evidently know more than I thought, your a sharp guy, so lay down that pipe and get with it!. And keep us all apprised as to your progress, I especially would like to hear how your progressing. And after much thought you also right about those twin engine dragsters, they were quite a sight and great performers. Your idea to build a twin engine 409 digger is going to create quite a fuss. Again, I apologise, get going, follow your dream, and keep us up with your progress. You know FAR more than I do, that's obvious now.

PS: after some thought I have to agree, those -333- trock heads aren't as bad as people think, and your right that they're closer to 690's than many people think. I didn't realize your just putting two truck motors together to build a more or less show car.

Steve "wully bully"

Supporting Member 1
Racing 409's

Marc,
Sounds like a cool project. We know a guy who built a jr. fuel rail, with a 392 hemi, that was class legal for NHRA and Good Guys. He took it to the Indy GoodGuys show in June 2003, the first major showing. The car looked really nice, and ran low 8's, about a second off the record. He managed to qualify, lost first round by a lot, and had the time of his life. The best part, every time he came up, the announcer didn't stop talking about the car until he was off the track. The point, all the other cars in the class were sbc powered. No, he wasn't really competitive, but he built his dream, and had fun with it. As someone who races a 409, I agree, life is too short to not try and follow your dream. Let me tell you, there is nothing that compares to the sound from a 409 screaming down the track!!
As far a another 409 rail, there is a guy in the northeast, I think Connecticut, that has one with an injected 409. The chassis is designed to add a second engine, as that was the original plan, but I don't think they ever got it built yet(the second engine). Good luck with the project, and keep us informed!
Steven
P.S. anybody can buy and race a late model car or rear engine dragster, it takes someone special to create something different. Go For It!!!

wagon409

Racing today....SS425's post

"Not let up to keep from breaking out. When I was racing, if someone went by and patted the throttle, it was an insult, and battle ensued. That was opening a wound, and putting salt in it. Fight was on. Today, that's the way it is."

I couldn't agree with you more about the state of racing today....I do understand it helps with costs, thank goodness, but the racing today is not what it once was.

This does remind me of a story. When Wendy was racing the 8.90 class at our local track with the 468 in the RED, she came up against some hot-shot in a 7.90 car with a SBC thinking he would wheel race the whole day and clean up on the slow 8.90 cars.........Both got off the line well and the SBC got out in front, then let out about half track to cover her wheel....pissed her off, so she let out as well. We are at the starting line thinking they both broke and are wondering what the hell is going on.........towards the finish, she got back in the throttle, as did he an instant later and the torque of the BBC won the round.....big shot went home early.

That had to be the funnest round she ever won..only ran a 9.13 or so but won.

Later

Marc

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Fran Preve said:
I apologize Wagon, your right, and you SHOULD go fo it, go after it, build this dream car.

Wow Fran !! good move !!! :clap

Keep the peace,,,,,, dq

DQ, what can I say?. Read all the posts again, no more comments.

Fatride, OH YEAH!!!!!!!. BRING IT< DON'T SING IT!. But let's sit down over a beer first...................................................

Loafer409

Supporting Member 1
"This does remind me of a story. When Wendy was racing the 8.90 class at our local track with the 468 in the RED, she came up against some hot-shot in a 7.90 car with a SBC thinking he would wheel race the whole day and clean up on the slow 8.90 cars.........Both got off the line well and the SBC got out in front, then let out about half track to cover her wheel....pissed her off, so she let out as well. We are at the starting line thinking they both broke and are wondering what the hell is going on.........towards the finish, she got back in the throttle, as did he an instant later and the torque of the BBC won the round.....big shot went home early.

That had to be the funnest round she ever won..only ran a 9.13 or so but won."

===
For those of us that don't drag race, what did you just say??? :?
===

Never mind mind I figured it out... :doh

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
In 1960 I had a gasser that had 6 97's and was very competitive the muffler shop that built the headers ran a C gas dragster with 6 97's. Bud the owner asked me to tune for him and I did. I got the dragster to go about 9.90 and 145mph. This is with a 301 sbc. You could only see forward between the carbs and the head. It was then that Bud asked me to drive once, I did and went faster than him so he asked me to drive all the time. I tell you I could not wait until Sat. night to come so I could drive again, it was like Christmas every week. The pushing up the track to start, turn around at the starting line and then the acceleration of a dragster is fantastic. You can have all your modern stuff but give me cubic inches to weight and class racing any day. Tom Ivo started with a single engine and then had a twin Buick that was almost unbeatable in the gas dragster ranks..So build it and let us Know all the progress each time you make it and post pictures, it will be the fastest 409 on this site. :hug Roy

Actually I lied, I hate beer, don't drink it, never have, never will, never aquired a taste. But rum and coke?, different story. So I need some beer for the beer drinkers, Johnny Walker for DQ. Now do we debate/discuss BEFORE we drink?, or drink and THEN sit down and debate/discuss?. Actually it won't matter, I'll be right either way............................................

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Before or after?

Hmmmmm, I seem to make more sense after a few, so make that after. :?
PS, I'm just a little guy and pretty meek untill I have had a few drinks, but watch out after I get my buzz on! ;) Make mine Old Grandad!

348NUT

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Roy is that you?

:D Oh ya you said sbc not wbc ;) Hey wagon, I'm all for different, so by all means go for it! If you haven't checked out this thread yet it may interest you.
http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2736 NUT

p.s. Welcome to our zoo, please don't feed the animals. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 348 Rail.JPG
    348 Rail.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 82

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
fatride said:
PS, I'm just a little guy and pretty meek untill I have had a few drinks, but watch out after I get my buzz on! ;) Make mine Old Grandad!

:roll :roll ,,,,,,, We did miss getting together for a few at the LAST convention,,,, but I`ve got a few names on the list for the next one that are a must to have a "sit down pass around" with !!! :D ,,,dq