59 ElCamino

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Excellent info, but the resistance readings may be different. But other than that, exactly the same technology.

R_XII

Installed a Hellwig sway bar on the front today. Bolted right up and was pretty simple to do. Probably going to add one on the rear control arms soon. Never did get the fuel gauge to work. Just ordered some new Autometers to drop into the dash pods. We'll see how that looks. Bought a Holley ultra xp 650 last week and that started me tearing it all apart and doing more stuff to it again. Should of probably done these things this winter rather than when the sun came out huh! Looking forward to getting it out of the shop again though. The sway bar made the front sit a little higher again too. I think one of the springs was sagged out more because the car leaned a little to one side. It sits flat now but I want it lower. Already cut .5 coils off of each end on the front springs. Might pull it apart and cut another .5 off each end again.

R_XII

So now I've got a bug to build a engine and I have never built one before. I have the skill set though, I have built several 2 stroke bike and snowmobile engines and worked on a fair amount of V8s. A friend has a 454 out of a 74 truck I am debating on buying. Good running order for 500 bucks and I thought about trying to get 500 to 600 hp out of it and don't really know anyone around here that could help me out so I've been doing tons of research and you guys on this forum have a vast knowledge of engines and racing and these old cars. I know a 409 would be cool but I'm wanting more power and the budget too. Its all just a thought right now because I would have to change several things since I just got it all setup for my 331. Anyone have some good links to read? Hard to fit a 454 in a 59? Should I stick with a small block?

These guys got over 600 out of this one and I think its under 3000 dollars total into it.
http://www.powerblocktv.com/episode/HP2009-12/454-budget-build#.VzK6kr4eyUn

Added bonus would make the front end a little lower without cutting the springs too! haha