59 ElCamino

R_XII

My intro thread if ya havnt read it...
http://www.348-409.com/forum/index.php?threads/59-el-camino-wa.23468/

So this is what Ive been up to....

brake kit from 1958 Delivery HIGHLY RECOMMENDED GREAT TO DEAL WITH!!
914068_4722185338818_932069150_o.jpg

580422_4891821139607_367869643_n.jpg

327 with Muncie 4 speed. Not a 348-409 but this site has been more help with info for doing this project than about any other site ive come across. Thanks to all! I stumbled across it when looking for a front disk brake kit too!
1053330_4998514286869_230847151_o.jpg

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It's not too late to put the correct engine in.
The small auxilliary backup engine will do for now, but you really should start your search for a W........that Camino deserves it.:D
Just kidding, sort of.... the 327 is my second favorite engine.

R_XII

little update on progress. Fired it up yesterday. Should be back on the road next week. Rear end swap with Dick's drive line coming next. Now that its all back together it doesn't fit under the hood so I'm looking for some options with that. I think I still have a spare hood somewhere laying around so I wouldn't mind cutting a hole in one and putting a scoop of some kind on it or something. Whats everyone's opinion?

1901371_10202064242833844_8771743892460037627_n.jpg

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Doesn't look like it is far from fitting under the hood. I think a scoop would look cool.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'd try to find an air cleaner base with more "drop" like a Moroso or Speedway type and keep it under the hood. This is coming from someone who cut a hole in his hood!! But I didn't chop up a steel one.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
It's not too late to put the correct engine in.
The small auxilliary backup engine will do for now, but you really should start your search for a W........that Camino deserves it.:D
Just kidding, sort of.... the 327 is my second favorite engine.
Don't you mean that small reliable engine will do for now over a w:roll !!!!!!I'm just kidding too!!!!

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Looking good. I am sure you will lots have fun with the El Camino, even if it's not powered by a 348 o 409.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Now that its all back together it doesn't fit under the hood so I'm looking for some options with that.
Here's one option that I wished I'd heard of years ago before going to a cowl induction hood:
space the body mount bushings at the core support up about 3/8" and the ones at the firewall about 1/4". Leave the rest alone. That will ever slightly tilt your front end upwards and should gain you the clearance you need without being noticeable or causing any issues.

I learned that one on this great site. I wish I could remember who so I could give them the credit for it.

R_XII

Here's one option that I wished I'd heard of years ago before going to a cowl induction hood:
space the body mount bushings at the core support up about 3/8" and the ones at the firewall about 1/4". Leave the rest alone. That will ever slightly tilt your front end upwards and should gain you the clearance you need without being noticeable or causing any issues.

I learned that one on this great site. I wish I could remember who so I could give them the credit for it.

Thanks for the tip! I just got a body bushing kit today in fact. I might just double stack them in the front and see how it works!

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You're welcome. I hope it gives you the clearance you need. It looks like you wouldn't need much to clear.

R_XII

well a few hours of playing with different busing sizes and shimming lead to back to square one. It kept driving the top of the fender into the door mostly on the driver side. I think that side has some damage in the door. Im gonna get some different size filters and see how it works. I set the hood on and with it in the first latched position (not all the way closed) I could still run my hand over the top of the air cleaner but felt the hood on the back side of my hand so I think if I could get just another 1/2 inch lower on it id be golden. Successful test drive down the road today!

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Put something like silly putty on top of the air cleaner when you have it in that first notch, it'll tell you how much room you have there.

Don

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think you need to work on the front brakes, they stuck on? :dance:bow:bow:bow

Cool car .

Don

R_XII

Ive swapped out the stock rear end with a Currie Ford 9" and all new suspension. Disk brakes front and rear in the car now. Electric exhaust cut outs. Updated the clutch with a hydraulic throw out bearing. Had it out most of the summer. Parking it soon and probably tearing into more stuff with it. Fun getting out on the streets with it now and seeing everyone give the thumbs up! Lots of heads turn.

10982136_10204181501483987_2660311254611949290_n.jpg