59 ElCamino

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
That does look great. Is the rear housing still bare steel in that picture or did you spray it with clear coat?

Looks very clean and solid underneath.

R_XII

I put about 4 coats of clear on the housing. Looks really good being able to see all the welds and everything. Ive had a lot of people comment on that.
Thanks guys!

'59Imp

Well Known Member
I wish my body had started out as rust free as yours is. It's expensive when it has more holes than a cheese grater.

I bet it is expensive...
I feel lucky that my car doesn't have too much rust to deal with.
You were talking to me, right?

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I put about 4 coats of clear on the housing. Looks really good being able to see all the welds and everything. Ive had a lot of people comment on that.
Thanks guys!
Looking good mate, keep up the work.

Gav

R_XII

20150822_144337.jpgIt's a thanks guys....ive been working hard on this car and its finally starting to come together.

331.....getting close to a 348! Lol. I'll get some more pics when I get home.

Anyone have any good pics of new gauges in the dash pods of a 59 or 60? I'm Gonna Be SWAPPING Mine Out Soon AND Looking For Pics To See How It's Gonna look.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I don't think you can beat the looks of the original gauges in a '59 or '60. Or the '55, '56, & '57's. Just my personal opinion.

Lonnie

'59Imp

Well Known Member
I don't think you can beat the looks of the original gauges in a '59 or '60. Or the '55, '56, & '57's. Just my personal opinion.

Lonnie

I 2nd that Lonnie. :)
The gauges on my '59 Impala are all faded, etc., but I am going to keep the originals because I like the look of originality...

R_XII

Putting the gauge idea on the back burner. I do need a fuel gauge though if anyone knows of a place to get one. looked around a little. Also looking for hood hinges and front and rear sway bars if anyone has any input on them. My lower front control arms do not have the tabs for the front sway bar so id need to find that tab and weld it on too. I think ive seen one front bar with that piece in the kit.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The Addco 1 inch sway bar I bought has those pieces. They are just a right angle steel bracket (grade 8 I believe), you could probably make them up if the kit you got did not have them.
What's wrong with the fuel gauge or was it missing?

R_XII

Fuel gauge doesn't work. I bought a new sending unit 2 years ago so im pretty sure its not that. I grabbed another fuel gauge that we had, because for some reason everyone has a ton of dash stuff laying around...anyway.... The second gauge I have doesn't work either. Both get power and the needle moves a little bit but the one only goes up to about 1/4. Depending on how tight the 2 nuts that hold the electrical connector on made the gauge act different too. It was kinda weird.

Did you notice a big difference with the Addco sway bar? I'm really wanting to stiffen up the body roll.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I bet both of your gauges work. It more likely is the Chinese reproduction sending unit that does not read properly.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
With the sending unit outside the tank, hook it up to the gauge and move the arm up and down. Its more likely you have a bad sending unit or connections than 2 bad stock gauges.

Check trouble shooting in the shop manual, it may show how to check your sending unit and your gauge. Usually problems are with a ground/power connection somewhere or the sending unit.