60 year old undercoating

Ronniemac

Who has the best idea on undercoat removal without sandblasting? What chemical is best and then pressure wash it off . Not to keen on heat gun and scraper.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Sandblasting doesn’t work.The undercoating is soft and absorbs the energy My cars previous owner was a member of the undercoating of the month club.I tried everything.About the only thing that worked was a snap on crud thug.Of course being from snap on it was pricey.Eastwood has one as well that is almost half the price.These are narrow enough that the can get into most tight spots.No matter what you use it is going to suck.59A2A94F-9FC6-4BD0-A28D-C78FEC2DA5F8.jpeg40863110-E950-474C-A4E9-17D16932EE03.jpeg

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I did mine on the floor on my back it wasn’t that bad …..you can heat up a big area at a time, be off to the side and just starts peeling off……And you’re not having to rework it by smearing it around with by using some other type of tool

Ronniemac

Let me respond to the couple of questions raised. I am removing the undercoat because there are spots by the transmission and differential that have grease and oil on them that can not be painted over and other areas that were not covered good enough that have some rust that needs to be addressed. Yes the car is on a rotisserie so access is easy.
I sprayed some Kurd cutter on the greasy areas and hit it with a pressure washer and it came off easily but didn’t work so well on the dry areas. I’m going to try spraying it with mineral sprites and then pressure wash and see how that works.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I just used a bottle torch like plumbers use to sweat copper pipe. A little area at a time makes it soft and used a putty knife come's right off. Then use laquer thinner or similiar to get the the surface clean. I did the whole floor that way . It take's some time but end result it's clean showing factory primer.Then you can prep and paint as desired.

59K9

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I did a frame on full restoration due to lack of ability to rotisserie the car and used a combinaton of putty knives, wood chisels, and a heat gun, all from under the car...nasty doesn't begin to describe the job but 30 years ago it was no big deal...mineral spirits in a pressurized air stream works but gets messy...the car won 9 super chevys and every world of wheels it was invited to...cover the floor with 6 mil visqueen, you'll thank me...

Ronniemac

Well I had a successful day removing undercoating yesterday. I used mineral spirits and sprayed on a coat let sit for about 15 minutes and sprayed on another coat and let sit for 15 minutes then I hit it with a 3700psi pressure washer. WALA it worked. Did not disturb the factory primer and now I have a surface to prep and prime with epoxy primer. See the before during and after pictures attached.

Attachments

• 2E46F9B6-F893-4843-B0DB-5C40E1A10EF2.jpeg
    2E46F9B6-F893-4843-B0DB-5C40E1A10EF2.jpeg
    95.6 KB · Views: 40
  • FA3DE1E2-84B2-4A20-A194-C928DDCBF26D.jpeg
    FA3DE1E2-84B2-4A20-A194-C928DDCBF26D.jpeg
    98.3 KB · Views: 39
  • FB527CF2-D7DF-4F45-9DA5-7246230782B7.jpeg
    FB527CF2-D7DF-4F45-9DA5-7246230782B7.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 40