60's Roadside Attractions, City's & Streets Thread

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
We had two Carroll's, in our area, also Carmine. After McDonalds came around, the two Carroll's faded away. :dunno2

Reactions: 327

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
We had two Carroll's, in our area, also Carmine. After McDonalds came around, the two Carroll's faded away. :dunno2
The one Carrolls that I recall, morphed into a Burger King. Same location. Same building. Different signs and advertising of course. I have a variety of fast food restaurants in my area. The only one's I see close up are Burger Kings. It's funny that they close and 2-3 years later, a new one is built on the same street about 1 block away. I often wonder the thinking behind that? The old one didn't make it, why would anyone think a new one would?? What's changed to make this investment worthwhile?? I don't know??
Speaking of restaurants, many years ago I was thinking about early retirement. I thought a fast food franchise would be good. I looked at several. From what I recall, Subway was a minimal investment. Maybe 50-60 thousand. Dairy Queen was top dog. Most expensive. What I really wanted was a McDonalds franchise which was also very expensive. I think you needed a 7 digit figure to get one. I liked their franchise because you never saw one close up except if some deranged psychopath went in and killed people. Then they tore it down and made a park. The average franchise was also grossing 3 million dollars per year. Please don't hold me to those figures, but that's what my recall is. Needless to say, I never bought any franchise.
If you can stand a few more sentences and not trying to hijack this thread, I saw on line this morning, a $28.99 12 piece bucket of chicken at KFC. People were outraged. I begrudge no one of making a living, but is that crazy or what?? That is one of my favorite restaurants but I would never pay that. Also, a Big Mac combo meal at McDonalds-$17.95. $7.95 for an Egg McMuffin. I think the world has gone mad.
Enough for now. If ur a football fan, hope you all enjoy the Superbowl, Carmine.

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Like Carmine, i too like the car dealer posts by “327” both new and especially used car dealers since my Dad was a used car dealer from 1959 to some time around 1990! During that time he hung his sign “Taylor Auto Sales” at 8 different locations all within 3 miles of each other. The first 5 locations were rented the last three he owned! I wished i had pictures of all the different locations because Dad mostly dealt in high performance cars with only a few non performance cars! Lucky me!!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Does anyone ever look at these pics and try to figure out the newest car there?? I do. Not sure why. On the far left, would that be a '74 Impala convertible?? I think there is also a 60ish Chevy pickup truck in the middle. I see a '59 Ford below the machine shop sign, Carmine.