BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I will when I can move a little better thanks,
What was the difference between Ricks master and mine ? I don’t recall

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Brian,the 5462225 has a 1” bore and is correct for a 62-63 power brake passenger car.The 5462389 has a 7/8” bore,and correct for a 63 corvette.Yours has a 1” bore and correct for a 62-63 non power brake car.

Last edited:

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
The clearest part of the date code in the top photo looks like A-9-3, probably January 9th, 1963.
The bottom code might be M 11 2, which is probably December (if they didn't use capital I) 11th, 1962.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian,the 5462225 has a 1” bore and is correct for a 62-63 power brake passenger car.The 5462889 has a 7/8” bore,and correct for a 63 corvette.Yours has a 1” bore and correct for a 62-63 non power brake car.
Impala did use 1" and Corvette did use 7/8" but Impala with metallic lining used 7/8" don't know about casting numbers

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Interesting,on the box for the 5462389 master it had 63 non power corvette,and 409.I guess I am going to have to dig deeper.Did all 409’s get the metallic lined brakes?
You are right Carl on the date codes,cool that the one has a m proving they skipped i

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Metallic brakes were a h.d. option available on all full-size. Just had to check the box when ordering.
Right,I checked the salesman’s book
The sintered metallic brake option was j65.Next question,in 63 at the Van Nuys plant,if you got rpo j65 does it show in the acc codes on the trim tag.
On the facts page here,in 64 they listed it in group 3 as a Z.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Right,I checked the salesman’s book
The sintered metallic brake option was j65.Next question,in 63 at the Van Nuys plant,if you got rpo j65 does it show in the acc codes on the trim tag.
On the facts page here,in 64 they listed it in group 3 as a Z.
There was no ACC code for metallic brakes in 63 at any Fisher plant. There was an internet myth that code 3Z was metallic brakes in 63 (it's actually the code for SS, RPO Z03), but I've been pouring cold water on that for so long, nobody appears to think that any more. The reason there's no ACC code for J65 is because Fisher didn't have to modify the body in any way to fit them, it was an option that was fitted by Chevrolet during final assembly when the body was mated to chassis and drivetrain.