62 Belair Sport Coupe Bubble Top Find

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Neat car Tooth, I like it :good I'm pretty sure every X-frame chevy geek has dreamt about a 62 bubble top at one time or another. I know I have!

Something fishy if the body tag says JA and the vin tag says F. Not unheard of I guess, just strange. Especially since Carl has record of Bel Air hardtop bodies being built AND assembled at both Flint and Janesville, it just seems weird.

Maybe Fisher in Janesville shipped some Bel Air hardtop bodies to Flint for assembly. Not likely but, Flint is pretty close to Janesville. Those rivets on the body tag are absolutely original though.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Neat car Tooth, I like it :good I'm pretty sure every X-frame chevy geek has dreamt about a 62 bubble top at one time or another. I know I have!

Something fishy if the body tag says JA and the vin tag says F. Not unheard of I guess, just strange. Especially since Carl has record of Bel Air hardtop bodies being built AND assembled at both Flint and Janesville, it just seems weird.

Maybe Fisher in Janesville shipped some Bel Air hardtop bodies to Flint for assembly. Not likely but, Flint is pretty close to Janesville. Those rivets on the body tag are absolutely original though.
Thanks Kevin, I appreciate your input. Now to clean the shop and start the race car plans. :wax:weld

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Car is damn near perfect already
You need to see it in person, it's far from damn near perfect. Fiberglass in the floors big time and in the trunk. Inside rockers gone! Someone put new rocker skins over the old ones. Didn't do a very good job. Trust me when I say my plate is FULL on this one. No schedule for completion, just keep going till it's done. Perfect canadate for a race car. I'll post more pics soon and you will get a better idea of the rust. Overall still a good find because of rarity, there were no surprises I saw all this when I bought it. Besides I call it garage therapy takes my mind off the political scene lies.

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
FINALLY.......The floor pan showed up in a semi. No dents or scratches. I ordered it from summit racing because they had the best price and the best shipping. Turns out it drop shipped from classic industries in california. Summit said it was 20230410_165542.jpg20230410_165521.jpg20230410_165504.jpgcoming directly from the manufacturer that they did not keep it in their warehouse. This will help with all fitment. Remember not a restoration but a solid RACE CAR. 1/3rd of the back half of the floor pan won't be used, going with ladder bars and a Strange 9"...:D

Last edited:

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks James for your help getting the frame out and the body on the dolly. Thanks Dennis J. for the dolly. The pan has been removed and needs a final trim. The back under the rear seat will be sheet metal. Using it to stabilize the back half for now. Working on inner rockers now. Then I will know where to finish trimming...:browAGAIN THANKS JAMES for your help.20230419_171653.jpg20230419_171734.jpg20230419_175655.jpg20230419_180536.jpg20230419_180544.jpg20230419_182034.jpg20230419_182040.jpg