62 Impala 409

I need some help on this one guys.....I'm looking at a 62 Impala SS 409 4speed and I'm lost......I don't think it was born an SS...bench seat, no grab bar on pass dash.....steering colunm has been changed....that stuff realy don't bother me but I' 409 dumb....The motor is a QA date code June 61, alum intake, one 4, is 400hp for 1963,,,has the right fan shroud but don't know about the fuel line yet.....Car looks great, does not have the solid cam or 11/1 comp anymore.......Any help ....Real deal???? does it matter.... THANKS Jim

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Jim: It only matters, if the seller is claiming it's a numbers matching car, and turns out it's not. If your gonna pay big bucks for it.:dunno Get all the numbers off the trim tag and do some research, on this website. You're the only one that has to be happy, with the purchase. But it's always nice, to get what you pay for, and not get taken.:clap

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I think someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think a really sure fire way to check if it was an SS model is to check out the interior code on the trim tag. If the interior code shows bucket seats, it's an SS. As far as I know there were no SS models that came with bench seats and no regular Impalas that came with buckets.

Here's a link to some info on the homepage that might help you figure out if it came with a 409. http://www.348-409.com/348409identify.html

The fuel line should be 3/8" and it should pass between the frame and upper control arm. The 300hp 327 also used the same fuel line setup.
I think the aluminum bell housing and aluminum maincase for the T-10 transmission were also exclusive to 409's and Corvettes.
Another thing to look at is the top tank of the rad. It should be lower at the front and higher at the back. It should also have two hexagon shaped dimples on the top surface.
Unfortunately a lot of this stuff gets replaced over the years so many original 409 cars don't have much of the "409 only" stuff left.:dunno

Good luck:cheers

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
QA suffix and date code

If your engine's date code is June 1961 and the front pad is stampled QA then it appears as if you have a 1962 409 engine there. The single four barrel with the aluminum intake indicates the 380 horse option. Check the heads to see if their castings end in "690" and look for the date codes on them to possibly match that engine date code. If you can spot the engine casting date, then you can spot it's casting numbers, and if she's a 409 from a 1962, then those casting #s will end in "068". Then look at your trim tag (the one on the cowl) for the "born on" date of the vehicle, and if it is within a month or two of the dates on the engine (engine will likely be earlier) then it might be an original 409 car and that particular engine might be original to that build. Match the suffx stampings on the front of the block (where that QA was) and see if it has any relationship with the VIN # posted inside the driver's side door post.

Doesn't sound like an SS to me, the grab bar (or lack thereof) tells us that.

Good luck !!!

TomK