62 Impala SS Bubbletop conversion

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Hi Brian, nice job, I've built a couple of rods over the years, and you deserve all the acolades in doing this conversion. :bow
About being afraid to drive it. as Nike says "just do it", you will be happier than a pig in sh*?. The looks and praise you will recieve will be better than trophies.:cheers

Reactions: 327

gabriel-cestaro

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
hey brain
car looks great and i understand after all that work not wanting to take it out
it is hard to get to the point you are at and hard to drive down they road and something out of your control happens 2 years ago i finished mine only 1200 miles on it :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
car looks great:cheers:cheers

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
wow!

Brian:

Your project is very inspiring!

The end result looks awesome :) :) :).

I hope someday to take on those skills that you have so painstakingly acquired!

Cheers,
TomK

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian, Your car looks great....:clap Now go put some miles on it....:brow Its way more fun than looking at it....:deal

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ok, the wife and I took the car out. First stop was O'Reilly to pick up some odds and ends and then off north for a nice cruise. We went 15 miles in 3 hours!. There was a car show (I was going to bring the car, but couldn't get it out in time) 2 miles away from O'Reilly that had just ended and alot of them stopped in to see the car. I left without even getting what i had originally stopped for!
Brought the car back home because I thought it wasn't shifting into high gear (TH350 w/3000 stall). Chatted with Ronnie Russell for a while about what could be the problem if it wasn't and out driving I went. Watched the tach for drop from shifting and couldn't see a noticable drop so I dropped the shifter down one notch and it did downshift, brought it back up into Drive and it upshifted. Great, It is going into high gear! Stopped and filled her up with premium (at 409.9) added some Lucas Octane Booster and off to the highway I went. Got out there and I just had to nail it. I could actually feel the rear of the car stand up when I got on it. It felt so good to actually drive the car. I am still nervous, but I am sure that will dissapate very soon!

I might bite the bullet and drive it out to Ronnie's house tomorrow, which is about 75 miles each way. Hopefully I put everything together right and I won't break down. Wish me luck!

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
The car does look great, Brian. :clap All the long, hard hours of sanding, paid off. :bow Skip:)

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
AWESOME JOB BRIAN!!!! The car looks stunning from your pictures!!

I really respect and admire you guys that do everything yourselves.....that is the defination of a TRUE car enthusiast!!! I can do the mechanical but would be totally lost on the welding and painting part!! I know this was your first and it looks like your results were perfect!! Maybe you won't need to get another software job!!:scratch:scratch Can you have a home-based business in your neighborhood????:roll:roll

Anyway.........you NEED to be very PROUD of your results!!!!

On the bidding for your sticker.....I'll start at 100,000!!!!:roll:roll

Notice the lack of a $$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!

olmpian84

question

hello, my name is Joe, i have a shop in calif where i have been building cars for many years. i have been thinking of building a 62 bubbletop using 61 & 62 impala's. i have very limited computer skills (great fabfication skills though), i would like to ask you a few questiong reguarding the chop locations for putting the 61 roof on the 62 body. if i sent you my phone number could you please call me when you have the time ??? let me know and i will send my # .... thanks Joe in calif....

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
hello, my name is Joe, i have a shop in calif where i have been building cars for many years. i have been thinking of building a 62 bubbletop using 61 & 62 impala's. i have very limited computer skills (great fabfication skills though), i would like to ask you a few questiong reguarding the chop locations for putting the 61 roof on the 62 body. if i sent you my phone number could you please call me when you have the time ??? let me know and i will send my # .... thanks Joe in calif....

Absolutely Joe. PM me your number and we can talk.

-Brian

olmpian84

hello

Hi Brian, its Joe. thanks for getting back to me. my ph number is 916-995-8932 , call me and i will give you my home e-mail address so it will be eaiser to send more pics.... thanks Joe

carlos.m

Well Known Member
Nice job Brain, I am also thinking of doing the same thing on mine because one of my 62 impala 409 has a lot of rust in that area , and just wanted to know if it will bring the value of the car down since it will not be original, and the reason for this is because my friend has a 61 impala that hes giving it to me and cant find a original top for this , plus its some thing that I had always wanted . would like to know if this project worth the trouble? since i'm thinking about selling it.

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Nice job Brain, I am also thinking of doing the same thing on mine because one of my 62 impala 409 has a lot of rust in that area , and just wanted to know if it will bring the value of the car down since it will not be original, and the reason for this is because my friend has a 61 impala that hes giving it to me and cant find a original top for this , plus its some thing that I had always wanted . would like to know if this project worth the trouble? since i'm thinking about selling it.
Sadly Brian Passed away in 2012. Car was absolutely beautiful, he did an amazing job on it. It's now overseas, I forget exactly where it went to.