62 Impala winter project

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I finally got around to blowing my Impala apart for a repaint and a few upgrades. I replaced the old lacquer paint with basecoat/clearcoat. I dug out my old swap meet padded dash cores and had them recovered in gold vinyl and fitted to my car. Been setting on the cores for 2o years. I also decided to turn up the wick a little bit and upgrade to the swirley SS trim pieces on my plain jane bench seat Impala. Hope the fashion police don't mind:hide. I finally got the Crager tri bar spinners for Christmas after wishing and waiting for for them 2o+ years . IMG_0626.JPG IMG_0632.JPG IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0637.JPG

Last edited:

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for the "attaboys" from everyone. I have been dink'n around with this car for 23 years. The car was in nice condition when I got it in 1992. This Impala is still wearing its unrestored slightly scuffed original bumpers and trim pieces, so it is definitely a driver. I just need to drive it more than I have been though. Been averaging about 1K a year recently. Car has 101K on the odometer now.

Last edited:

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Driving these cars is the name of the game. I use mine to run errands, go for ice cream, hit the car cruise nights and everything in between. I'm less and and less interested in big car shows where you sit there all day and more interested in getting the car out and driving it! Way more fun! Looks great from here!

Shake-N-Bake

Well Known Member
Very nice car! Looks like a fun one to drive around. We took our '61 to Sonic for an early dinner and then cruise around a bit. Last night we went to our local cruise in and hung out for a few hours.....then we went out for ice cream and some seat time. :) I think we'll do maybe one day long show a year...the rest of the time will be for driving. :)

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
There is a lot of misinformation out there about these '62 Anniversary Gold cars being special order cars or one per dealer etc. That is not true according to the facts. No limits on the color. It is not a common color though. I only now of about five cars like it personally. We too enjoy it immensely, especially the cruise nights. Thanks to all for the compliments.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Boy she looks awful nice for a "driver" :). Just kidding, for me that's what I enjoy the most. Even if it's just for 15 minutes at a time :).

I did my last '62SS with some detail, but as I approached the end of the project (is there such a point?) I just started having fun and driving her. It will be interesting to see how I handle the next project, now that I have a good driver in place. I suspect I'll want to cruise around in that as well!

Cheers!
TomK