62 Impala winter project

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Great job Leo!!!!!!!!!!!! First thing I noticed was the correct "gold" Impala rear quarter emblems!!!! I had a set of NOS ones about 10 years ago.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
:applI can't really add anything to what everyone else is saying, but it deserves saying again: BEAUTIFUL car before you repainted it and even more BEAUTIFUL now! I love the spinners and the "swirl" inserts and think they look great even if not "correct" and love that you drive and enjoy it. :appl

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Great job Leo!!!!!!!!!!!! First thing I noticed was the correct "gold" Impala rear quarter emblems!!!! I had a set of NOS ones about 10 years ago.
Hi Phil, Are you aware of the "rest of the story" on these gold emblems and why they are so hard to find?

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
The info I have is from Vern Frantz who documents many of the'62 and '63 gold cars. All of the early '62 Impalas, (none SS cars) were built with brass plated impala's in the center of the rear quarter emblems because this was the 50th year of Chevrolet production. Apparently the brass plating started peeling off because of a vendor problem. This condition was corrected on 12/11/61 by installing the fully chromed Impala emblems. The early cars that came in for service had the emblems routinely replaced with the chrome emblems under a Technical Information sheet issued by the Engineering dept. I bought one NOS emblem from Jody Anderson and had the other side gold plated. My car has a 5B build date and was delivered with chrome emblems. I was under the mistaken impression that my gold emblems had been liberated, that is why I replaced them. I am going to link the GM bulletin.
platinum.gif
Verne_Frantz

58-64 Subject Matter Expert Posts: 4167
TowTabsavatar.jpg

Loc: hightstown,NJ USA
Reg: 08-22-00
offline.gif

User Info
Send Private Topic
This User's Topics
This User's Posts
View Profile

09-05-12 04:35 PM - Post#2266864

I have a set in the Chevy boxes that the new all-chrome ones came in. The dealer put the old ones back in the boxes. Yes, they are very rare because Chevrolet got rid of all the brass ones when the chrome ones came out. The part number was made obsolete immediately. It's sad to say but MANY restored '62s from the first few months should really have them since that's the way the cars were delivered.
I'll try to dig out more info later when I find the TSB that explains the change.

Verne
thumbup.gif

My mistake. It was not a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin). It was a Technical Information sheet issued by the Engineering dept for zone reps to be put in their "Product Data" books. This type of information is very hard to come by since it was only distributed to the zone offices. The zone offices, in turn, were supposed to alert the dealers in their zone about the information. As you can see the notice wasn't issued until April, when the production change ocurred in Dec.

TSB62quarteremblems.jpg

Last edited:

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Another part of the conversation.
platinum.gif
Verne_Frantz

58-64 Subject Matter Expert Posts: 4167
TowTabsavatar.jpg

Loc: hightstown,NJ USA
Reg: 08-22-00
offline.gif

User Info
Send Private Topic
This User's Topics
This User's Posts
View Profile

09-05-12 12:13 PM - Post#2266786
In response to del.impala

Actually, ALL early Impalas had a 2 piece 1/4 emblem with a brass plated deer. The brass plating failed early and Chevy replaced the emblems with ones that were all chrome. I can be more precise with dates, etc when I get home and find the paperwork on it.

Verne
thumbup.gif