62 QB409 boss pad missing plant letter but has Vin numbers that match.

I have 1962 Impala SS with a QB 409 that has the the vin numbers on the block but is missing the A for the Atlanta plant. The numbers do match the vin. Does this mean anything that I should worry about?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
post a picture of the passenger side pad with the numbers serial number and the engine numbers with the QB at the end.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I was not aware the car assembly plant was on the engine pad, I thought they all had T for Tonawanda??
T(for Tonawanda),the engine assembly date,and the engine suffix code was stamped at Tonawanda.
The vehicle vin and plant were stamped at the factory when the car was assembled.
The ncrs guys go crazy analyzing stamps,broach marks,and anomaly’s(thank god I have the tank sticker for mine).I agree with Paul,I think they just missed the pad when they stamped it.The fonts and numbers look correct.What is your build date on the trim tag.The engine assembly date should be 3-6 weeks before the cars assembly date.Once again there are exceptions but 3-6 weeks is typical.

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
How about a pic of the cast date on the block (should be on rear opposite side of the part #) block may have been cast in 1961

Last edited: