63 SS Impala original 409 car?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
1963 full size Chevys have been my favorite car for at least the last 30 years. In 201o I had just sold a '68 Datsun Roadster that I restored and I was ready to start my next project, a 1963 Bel Air. I already had the 409 for it and I had been collecting body panels for a few years. Well my wife and I were walking the neighbors property and I saw what looked like a '63 Chevy parked in an overgrown field at another neighbors property. I contacted that neighbor and found out the car was a 1963 Impala SS. There was no engine or transmission(or much else) with the car, but the owner stated it was an original 409 car. The car was her soon to be ex-husband's and he was looking to sell the car. After some typical phone tag we agreed on a price and the car was mine. After trailer the car home, about a half mile, I started cleaning and examining what was left of the car. The only evidence I could find that lead me to believe the car was infact an original 409 car was the remains of a fuel return line. From what I have read, the 409 engines were the only ones with a fuel return line and the line and frame look original to the car. So with that, I started the restoration. I replaced the floors, braces and rocker panels. Then I replaced the trunk. I am now in the process of fitting the new quarter panels. The project has been idle since summer of 2013 as I have been doing a little patch work on my '63 4 door Impala that I currently have the Impala's(or Bel Air's) 409 engine installed. I will atempt to post some pictures. As you will see, project cars here in the northeast are usually in poor condition as far as rust goes.

Attachments

• Copy of 100_1908.jpg
    Copy of 100_1908.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 516
  • 100_1741.jpg
    100_1741.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 549
  • 100_1768.jpg
    100_1768.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 509
  • 100_1769.jpg
    100_1769.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 506
  • 100_1782.jpg
    100_1782.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 501
  • 100_1908.jpg
    100_1908.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 508
  • 100_1913.jpg
    100_1913.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 512
  • 100_1980.jpg
    100_1980.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 452

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
I*'ll say one thing for you, you ain't scared of a project!!!!!!! That return line is a good sign, is there any sign of a resistor on the firewall? You can get a dollar or two for that hood scoop. Nice work too

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm not a body man by trade but I do all of my own work with some help from a good friend. Self taught out of neccessity. We're used to projects like this in our area(can't afford much else either). There wasn't a resistor on the car when I got it. I don't remember if I checked for threads in the mounting hole.

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard...Great job on the car//Keep pluggin' away at it.Welcome aboard and keep those pictures a comin'!!!! :cheers:happy

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Found the most recent pictures, fitting the quarters.

Attachments

• 100_2128.jpg
    100_2128.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 300
  • 100_2126.jpg
    100_2126.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 305
  • 100_2127.jpg
    100_2127.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 272

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Bob, I checked out your thread. Amazing how both my car and yours need almost the exact same body work. Well that's Northeast Pa for you. Can't wait to see more pictures of yours.

After I started the teardown I found the original paint was Palomar Red. The cowl tag verified this. So I will be painting the car the original color when that days comes(maybe in another year or two). Jim

bobs409

Administrator
It is funny how similar these are. Mine is only an Impala. The work looks about the same. I got my floor and rockers finished last year and never thought I'd get it done. Doing that was worse then the wheelhouses, quarters and trunk.

I really should start a build thread for my 63. I have been keeping photo's as I go for just such an occasion.

Keep up the good work. We need to save these oldies, they sure ain't making anymore...

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard ! Your car will look fantastic when your done.
Do you have to build a new front edge on the hood, too ?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thank you! The original hood was too far gone to repair. I picked up a good used hood at Spring Carlisle several years ago then picked up a new hood from Hubbards. I won't know which I will use until I mock up the new hood and see how it fits.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Holy $#!^ that pic from the back with no rear sheet
metal says it all. I'm soooo glad I don't live in the Midwest or the east coast. I have no room to complain.

Great job weldin those quarters on that takes some serious patience. Kevin

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks. I'm just taking lots of time. Measure a dozen or so times, screw together, unscrew, readjust, rescrew together then weld. Sometimes I just have to walk away and work on another project.