63 Windshield - only tinted available?

bobs409

Administrator
Ordered a new windshield at a place nearby and they can only get one that is tinted with blue band at top. Was hoping to get one in clear as that's what it had originally.

This project never seems to go as planned. Oh well, tinted it is. It's holding the works up. At least I got a good price, $150.53 w/tax.

Now... will it survive me installing it? :D What size crow bar is best to install one of these? :D

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Ordered a new windshield at a place nearby and they can only get one that is tinted with blue band at top. Was hoping to get one in clear as that's what it had originally.

This project never seems to go as planned. Oh well, tinted it is. It's holding the works up. At least I got a good price, $150.53 w/tax.

Now... will it survive me installing it? :D What size crow bar is best to install one of these? :D
I remember somewhere that the "Blue " tint band denotes factory A/C. I had a 63 SS parts car with factory A/C and it had Blue tinted glass al around. The '63 Impala parts car I have now has "Green" tinted glass.:dunno:scratch
:crazy:cheers

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob, Forget the crowbars and BFHs...... just get out a torch and heat it until it's really soft (like the glass blowers do) and then just lay it right in there. It'll fit great once it cools back down. That blue stripe will likely look pretty cool afterwards too! :D

Edit: Might start a whole new trend once it cools - REVERSE BUBBLE top.

bobs409

Administrator
I remember somewhere that the "Blue " tint band denotes factory A/C. I had a 63 SS parts car with factory A/C and it had Blue tinted glass al around. The '63 Impala parts car I have now has "Green" tinted glass.:dunno:scratch

Not the blue band but the full green tint in the glass. It came standard when AC was ordered or you could get it optionally with no AC.

My car was such a plain Jane, it even had a clear windshield. :D

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2

EZEye has always been green. Windshields are available clear, clear with shade band(bluish), tinted (EZEYE) and tinted with shade band. You can not get a shade band on side or rear glass that is tempered, all back glass have been tempered for quite some time. Side glass has been tempered since 1962

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
That's pretty cheap, Bob.:appl Are they made in China, now?:dunno I seem to recall, they were $ 300.00-$ 350.00 some years ago. Tinted, was even more.:doh I know, UPS won't be delivering yours.:rub

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Did the backlight on 61 Bubbletop's come with a tinted band similar to the front as an option/at all ?

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Did the backlight on 61 Bubbletop's come with a tinted band similar to the front as an option/at all ?
Why do you ask? My 61 has tinted glass and seems to have some band at the top of the bubble glass which appears to be a surface coating. It is dis colored and degrading and I have tried many solvents assuming it was aftermarket. Nothing seems to even put a dent in it.

bobs409

Administrator
The only band of tint I know is top of the windshield. All the glass was either clear or with a light green tint. Sometimes hard to tell, putting a white piece of paper behind it can help.

bobs409

Administrator
That's pretty cheap, Bob.:appl Are they made in China, now?:dunno I seem to recall, they were $ 300.00-$ 350.00 some years ago. Tinted, was even more.:doh I know, UPS won't be delivering yours.:rub

This place only sells the good kind, I think it's Plinkerton? I can't believe anyone would even ship a windshield! You just know it would arrive cracked if I ordered that way. :look I'll have to drive about 11 miles with it in the back of my truck, hope I don't meet up with any texting teens. :shudder

61BUBBLE348

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My 61 Bel Air has full tint glass, factory all weather air and ezy eye glass all round, my backlite also appears to have a slightly darker tint at the top of the bubble but has faded out but not entirely, all my glass is original.

I was of the belief that ezy eye glass came as factory standard when the car was fitted with A/C

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
Bob the trick to transporting glass is to always keep it vertical on edge. If you lay it down or lean it over, the weight of the glass bends it and it can break. On edge it is the strongest.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This should be old news by now, Many 60/61 cars had a spray on band on the rear window as owners complained of heating issues for passengers in back seat. The dealers usually sprayed these. The spray on was a bluish color but has faded thru the years and will usually appear gold after all these years. You can not make tempered glass with a color band as tempered glass is solid, not laminated. The middle plastic layer is what has the color in a laminated windshield.

1961 Bubble Boy

Well Known Member
This should be old news by now, Many 60/61 cars had a spray on band on the rear window as owners complained of heating issues for passengers in back seat. The dealers usually sprayed these. The spray on was a bluish color but has faded thru the years and will usually appear gold after all these years. You can not make tempered glass with a color band as tempered glass is solid, not laminated. The middle plastic layer is what has the color in a laminated windshield.
Sounds like my problem since the gold color is right on. Since you say it's an aftermarket surface coating, I will hit it (pun intended) with some 3M polishes and polishing pads to abrade it off.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds like my problem since the gold color is right on. Since you say it's an aftermarket surface coating, I will hit it (pun intended) with some 3M polishes and polishing pads to abrade it off.
Both my Impala and my Bel Air came with EZI glass and are no AC and had the spray on tint on the back glass. Both sprayed on back glass tints had faded out to the crapy gold brown look. I tried laquer thinner and every other solvent but nothing would touch it. Then a freind told me about Fitz metal polish, took the spray on shade right off of both.
http://store.detailking.com/product.asp?itemid=2159&gclid=CIbamNDqo8cCFZKGfgodT4UAMQ
Pass Rear 2.jpg

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Dan,
Thanks for that link, I'm going to order some of that stuff. I have the same problem with the rear glass in my 61 Ventura.

bobs409

Administrator
I made it home today with the windshield and not 1 crack! :D (knock on wood)

Was wondering, would it be a good idea to use any type of sealer in the groove where the glass slips into the gasket? This will be my first gasket type windshield install. (have done back windows a few times on trucks so not exactly a newby) When I had the glass company install a windshield in the wrecker, the guy went around and squeezed some black sealer under the lip of the gasket after it was installed. Seems it would be easier to put some on ahead of time.