64 drive shaft lengths

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Just for reference what is a good source for replacement drive shafts for these X frame cars. I have a drive line company down in Albany NY but his prices are through the roof. I had a 2 piece drive line out of a truck balanced there last year and it cost over $280.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Usually you can find a spring repair shop for Trucks and they can modify and balance drive shafts. I had one shortened and balanced for about $150. The rear shaft for your car as someone said should be readily available in stock length since I think if I remember right they used the same shaft from 58 to 64. If this car had a drive line in it when you got the car I would think you must have the correct shaft somewhere?

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Walt,
What are you actually doing this for?
In the first post you have said that this is a temporary measure? is this to get work done on the slip type shaft or is it to replace it?
Seems like a lot of work if it is only to be temporary?
Just wondering

Steve

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Walt, could the tailshaft on the Saginaw tranny, be longer than a Muncie?:dunno

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Way back when we started this build it was a complete car with a 6 and a pg. Along the way we picked up two other 64 parts cars in different stages of tear down. Do not recall if they had drive shafts in them. So for a while we had a lot of parts lying around and I just can't be 100% sure the rear half shaft came from the original 64. It seems that it did but it does not fit and it is 33 1/2 inches long which does not fit the spec for these cars.
Since the car is on bags I had thought I should use a slip joint in the drive line so after looking around for a bit I replaced the rear half shaft with a Ford Explorer half shaft that fit perfectly and seemed to solve the pending issue of flexibility.

Steve, we have been experiencing a vibration on the road now that we are driving the car so in an effort to determine this the drive line came under scrutiny. Seemed simple enough last week to change back to the stock shaft! LOL And hence the issue.
Removing the previous shaft seems to have corrected the vibration however even though it is a bit short and we only have the center bearing holding with one bolt at the moment. The real cure is to get a spec rear shaft which I am about to do following the holiday.

Skip, the front shaft fits perfectly if you slide it in to the point that you can get the bearing bolted down with the two bolts as required. The issue is the shorter rear shaft and for the life of me I can not figure out where it came from. It had to come from one of the other two parts cars I suspect as there are no other explanations. I must have swapped the shafts at some point in time and never realized that one was shorter than the other. What threw me off is that fact that I had this shaft completely rebuilt with new joints, painted the same color of the front shaft and in storage with the other spare parts for the car. I am certain that it was at one time installed with the front shaft but cannot now be 100% sure that it was put in the car. I am going to look at the build pics to see if I can determine if it was installed into the frame during the build. It sure is a mystery!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
58 has a shorter wheelbase than 59-64. Don't remember exactly, but seems like about 1.5" if I recall correctly. Also don't recall where they put the extra length in the frame but might explain the difference if it was in the rear of the X.

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Thanks Don. I wasn't sure. Walt, I just measured an old 64 rear shaft. 36 1/4" Overall. 35" center to center.

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Skip, that is the length I need it appears. I am sure there are few around. Couple on Ebay at the moment.