64 Impala SS Survivor

ozzie7

Well Known Member
I came across a HT white/red interior 4 speed 409/425 at the Good Guys show in Columbus Ohio a couple weeks ago.
Started taking pics and the owner and I started talking.
Car was part of a collection owned by the founder of Westley's Bleche-wite.
Mostly sat in a temp controlled environment for 30 some years and was bought by the current owner at an estate auction.
27K miles... all original .... unrestored ... has a few very minor dings and touch ups to the original paint... a real beaut!
It came from the factory with the 400 HP option and was upgraded by a chevy dealer with the factory 425 HP upgrade in 1967.
Only thing I could see to complain about was it has a chrome dual snorkel air cleaner.
Comes with all kinds of documentation.
I was taken a-back.
If I hadn't just blown my wad on the 59... this car would be mine.
Owner says he would start the conversation at $48K.
I'm thinking... $40K ish... I'm pretty sure he got it for a song and maybe a little dance.

If anyone is interested I can post some pics in this thread later tonight and PM you his number... car is in the Columbus area.

Last edited:

ozzie7

Well Known Member
I'm certainly no expert on how they came equipped... but it might not be the "correct" style air cleaner for that year.
But I could be mistaken... and if it is correct for that year... that would be a good mistake on my part I suppose.
I'll try to get some pics up tonight and then the experts can tell if it's period correct.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
To clarify the chrome 409 -400 HP single 4 barrel dual snorkel air cleaner in your picture "is correct for a 400 HP /409 motor with single large 4 barrel carb (Carter AFB # 3783 is correct for 400 HP in 63 and 64).

Conversion to a 425 horsepower "by the dealer" has to have 2 Carter AFB carbs --since 425 HP from the factory came with these carter carbs--- carter carb #'s 3361/3362 or 3804) with the large 2-4 chrome air cleaner (like the one on the table picture above posted by r63ss). Someone converted the single 4 barrel 400 HP dual snorkel top to fit non 409 2-4 carbs on the intake with a modified carb base for 2 carbs (I can see that the carbs are not original 409 only carter AFB's or the wrong carter afb carbs -the arms on the drivers side of the carbs are not 409.

The 425 HP sticker on that single 4 barrel dual snorkel air cleaner is incorrect for that air cleaner (as Phil stated )which is used on a single 4 barrel 409 carb from 1961 to 1965 (61/62 409 dual snorkel air cleaners where black with no decal and 63 to 65 400 HP motors had chrome dual snorkel air cleaners with a larger decal for 400 HP motors)

Car looks very original like you stated on the interior and exterior.
pulleys look correct and deep groove, PS pulley is correct.
chrome 409 valve covers appear to be 63/64 409 valve covers. 409/400 HP motors would have the big tube cast iron exhaust manifolds and the pictures prove to me that the motor has the correct big tube cast iron manifolds.

Factory tach is correct redline for either 400 HP or 425 HP 409 motors.
Pulley on alternator is incorrect. tightening bracket on alternator is 409 only,
The 409 radiator appears to be a 61/62 409 hex top original radiator and a 62/63 409 fan shroud.
409 Radiator is missing the square nuts on the radiator under the fan shroud 6 mounting locations.

Paul

ozzie7

Well Known Member
Holy Crap!!!... This turned out to be a real dud I guess.
With the wrong carbs, air cleaner, alternator stuff, radiator stuff... it's more like a $10K car now.
It would probably cost a fortune to make those things right... if you could even find the right parts.
Oh well... I thought it was pretty neat there for a minute.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Nice car but a little too rich for my blood at his asking price. I also noticed the electric pusher fan. Am wondering if he is having running hot problems, Carmine.

ozzie7

Well Known Member
Well I called the owner and talked to him about the issues mentioned here.
He says the carbs were installed at a dealer back in 1967 and they are Weber carbs... because Carter's weren't available at the time??
Doesn't know for sure if Carter's weren't available... just guessing.
He has the original single 4BBL manifold , w/ the original carb (rebuilt), and original base for the air cleaner to go back to the original 400 HP setup.
Add $7 for the 400 HP sticker from show cars.
On a side note ... for the 425 HP setup... I searched for a set of 3361/3362 carbs ($800 - $900 for a set) and a new show cars air cleaner for $900.
He does not have the deep V alternator pulley... those can be had for $39.90 (4")or $52.50 (5 1/4") from show cars.
He said he added the pusher fan because when in 4th of July parades the temp would get up to 200/205 and he wanted it to run cooler.
That fan could be removed and he said the temps were fine under normal driving conditions without the pusher.
As for the radiator and shroud.. he's been told they weren't correct but said he didn't know if they had been replaced... he didn't think they had.
He said an old timer said that it could have come with the older radiator/shroud because Chevy had a habit of using up all their old production parts.

So I suppose it could be returned to "Mostly" original.... :bore1

Price doesn't seem out of line... according to the valuation tools online.

But in the end... it all depends on how bad someone wants it and what they are willing to pay.

Like Carmine said.... Too rich for my blood!

Last edited: