'65 4GV setup

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
I don't know if this 4GV setup on my '65 340 hp 409 is correct. The throttle return spring snags the choke pullover rod and the idle adjustment screw cannot make contact with the disc plate that actuates the primaries, so there is no effective idle adjustment at present. Looks wrong to me.

[pics 1 and 2]

Also, the crankcase breather that is routed in back of the air cleaner has a plug in it. I am just wondering how the crankcase breathes otherwise. This also looks wrong, and so I would appreciate anyone who can provide informed advice.

[pic 4]

I was a little surprised to find this glass bottle for spare radiator coolant, never seen that before: is it OEM or aftermarket?

[pic 3]

Getting to know my W Chevy, there are a lot of differences compared with the SBC motor.

Attachments

• IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1527.jpg
    IMG_1527.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1528.jpg
    IMG_1528.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1531.jpg
    IMG_1531.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 79

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The throttle return spring is not the correct one. It should be connect to the throttle linkage above where it is currently connected. Show cars should have the correct spring. www.dr409.com
I don't know why the fitting on your air cleaner base is plugged. In your first photo, I see the pipe fitting that is attached to the rear of the intake manifold. There should be a short piece of hose about 3 inches long that connects from it to the air cleaner base.
The bottle on the fender is for windshield wiper fluid.

Last edited:

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
In your first photo there is a breather cap on the oil fill tube. That should be a chrome cap, not a breather. Show cars has that too. The correct one is the one with a dimple in the center.

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I don't know if this 4GV setup on my '65 340 hp 409 is correct. The throttle return spring snags the choke pullover rod and the idle adjustment screw cannot make contact with the disc plate that actuates the primaries, so there is no effective idle adjustment at present. Looks wrong to me.

[pics 1 and 2]

Also, the crankcase breather that is routed in back of the air cleaner has a plug in it. I am just wondering how the crankcase breathes otherwise. This also looks wrong, and so I would appreciate anyone who can provide informed advice.

[pic 4]

I was a little surprised to find this glass bottle for spare radiator coolant, never seen that before: is it OEM or aftermarket?

[pic 3]

Getting to know my W Chevy, there are a lot of differences compared with the SBC motor.
As said, wrong spring. Remove the cotter pin in the linkage and put the spring in that hole. This will raise it off the dash pot. Not sure if this is the correct location.

Crank case breather route is much like a 64. As said you need the short hose and the right cap.

All GM cars of the 60s had the bottle. Not coolant. It is for windshield washer fluid concentrate.

get it all at https://show-cars.com

Attachments

• image_2024-01-01_084052431.jpeg
    image_2024-01-01_084052431.jpeg
    17.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image_2024-01-01_084523113.jpeg
    image_2024-01-01_084523113.jpeg
    45 KB · Views: 17
  • image_2024-01-01_084814040.jpeg
    image_2024-01-01_084814040.jpeg
    28.1 KB · Views: 19
  • image_2024-01-01_085049241.jpeg
    image_2024-01-01_085049241.jpeg
    43.6 KB · Views: 18

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
Many thanks for the information. Yes I now see that the throttle return spring is not OEM, so I will get the right part. Yes, the manifold breather that is blocked is replaced by the oil filler breather cap. This was done because the windage tray was removed when the motor was rebuilt. This happens a lot. I will go back to OEM with all that, many thanks for the information. I don't know how much other stuff is modified, so I attach a pic of the carb setup. None of this is familiar to me as I am only familiar with SBC motors. There are chrome-plated fuel lines and an AC-branded fuel filter, is this all OEM stock?

Attachments

• IMG_1526.jpg
    IMG_1526.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1532.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 30

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
The 4GV shows evidence of having been rebuilt, but that will have to be checked out coz there is something wrong in the way the throttle linkage has been set up; fortunately we have B&M Fuel Systems here who are the best, then back on the car for a dynotune to see how many quadrupeds out of 340 are left.

Reactions: 327

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
Yes, the air cleaner, base etc are correct and original, so is 4GV still with its date tag, it is just the throttle links seem to either be wrong or incorrectly assembled. We have a carb guy here who is the best, rebuilt Q-jets and 2bbls for me always with great results, he'll fix all that. Not many cars sold new here had a 4GV, only Impala hardtops with a 327, and of those most ran a 2GV. No W block cars are known to have been sold new here thru GM dealerships.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Your fuel filter and all chrome lines look correct. Mine came with a 4GC. I am not familiar with a 4GV.

Reactions: 327

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
Thanks Ron, appreciate verification that it is all correct, just the carb itself to get sorted. 4GC of course, dunno where I got 4GV from, probably thinking Venturi or something...

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
You asked this question
There are chrome-plated fuel lines and an AC-branded fuel filter, is this all OEM stock?

Those chrome fuel lines are to the fuel pump and a return line to the gas tank - both factory chrome lines
the glass bowl with two connections is factory for all 63, 64 and 65.
Your carb has a drop nose fuel entry to the carb - Its a Rochester carb -correct for 340 HP in 63, 64 and 65.
Paul

4speedman

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
About that oil breather cap the 63s 340 horse engines had a cap similar to that i am not sure about the 65s

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
Rochester 4GC is an auto choke 4bbl version based on the earlier 2G/2GC. There was a later version ('68-up) with divorced choke 2GV as used on the large journal SBC such as 307, hence my terminological error; the 4bbl Rochester equivalent of the 2GV is the Q-jet. SBC 307 was used here in '68-9 and 327/350 '68-74, had several cars running these motors running a Saginaw 4-speed, Powerglide or TH-400, all very good and reliable.

What has happened? – these cars up to about the early 1980s were uncomplicated, well-engineered and reliable, now they are unbelievably complicated, unreliable and expensive boxes of plastic rubbish. The basic engineering of some is very poor, including most of the very expensive European makes.

55Brodie

Well Known Member
Rochester 4GC is an auto choke 4bbl version based on the earlier 2G/2GC. There was a later version ('68-up) with divorced choke 2GV as used on the large journal SBC such as 307, hence my terminological error; the 4bbl Rochester equivalent of the 2GV is the Q-jet. SBC 307 was used here in '68-9 and 327/350 '68-74, had several cars running these motors running a Saginaw 4-speed, Powerglide or TH-400, all very good and reliable.

What has happened? – these cars up to about the early 1980s were uncomplicated, well-engineered and reliable, now they are unbelievably complicated, unreliable and expensive boxes of plastic rubbish. The basic engineering of some is very poor, including most of the very expensive European makes.
That's what happens when you have millenials who have never worked on a vehicle designing them. That and lack of adult supervision.

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
Many thanks to those who provided info. I hooked up with Show Cars and now have the correct parts organised. Here is another question: does the air horn on the air cleaner point to the right side or the left (driver) side? I think it points right and if so it comes very close to the aircon compressor, but that should not matter. The issue is were to put the 340hp decal on the air cleaner.

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
The other issue is why the 4GC carb hold-down bolts have no washers. This seems crazy as the carb body is soft metal, but I can find no case of washers in OEM. Any advice?

425/409ER

Well Known Member
Our 63 Biscayne had one of those glass washer bottles in the car but it was cracked. Found a real nice one at the swap meet for $5 one time and bought it. I do keep my eyes on it though at car shows, as one time some guy tried to take it off my car, WTF dude!. I will tell all of you guys, he'll never try that again, f-ing corksoaker:bat:bat:mad6