650hp from a 348 block

jr.W

Well Known Member
The new issue of hot rod has a 348 stroker built by Joe sherman.
4.00 stroke Eddy heads and 2 x 4 intake/carbs. Made 650 hp.:beerbang

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey jr.W
I'll have to get the mag.... but does the engine have a polished aluminum timing cover on it??

Thanks
Dave

jr.W

Well Known Member
The story says it has a 4.00 stroke scat crank, didn't know scat made one
for the W.:?:dunno Also used CP pistons. 11.0-1.
High dollar build though, solid roller, shaft rockers, Vacuum pump, ultra thin rings.
He used 3" carb spacers on the Eddy intake said it was worth 20hp.
Made over 520lb-ft from 4700rpm to about 6300, peaked at 533.
Horse power peaked at 6900 rpm.:eek::clap

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I'll be looking for that magazine.:deal
Joe Sherman's one of the best and he's made some positive comments about the W motor so it's great that Hot Rod got him to build the engine.:beerbang
It's no surprise that he used a solid roller cam. He often jokes that "Hydraulic rollers are for girls":D

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Pretty good article there.Does talk about the Edelbrock heads needed some porting.I believe either Jim or Ronnie were saying the same thing about their heads that were purchased. John

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Now if only Bob could get some print in one of these articles about his blocks

I don't think Bob would be interested........ he would have to donate all the parts. That's why I asked about the polished aluminum timing cover. Joe Sherman asked me for one of my covers in exchange for advertising them in the magazine. I sent him the $300 timing cover. He later said he would not be using it because it would not fit a Steph's pan...... WRONG..... I asked him to return it about 6 weeks ago and he hasn't responded to my emails....... He wanted a cam from someone else who said "no" ........ it seems if you want into the magazine you have to donate everything and nothing is returned....... He sells the finished product.

He built a good motor but I'm sorry I don't have much good to say about Mr Sherman right now. If he didn't want to use it he could send it back you would think...............?????????????? And if I can make it fit..... ???? Other members have made it fit....... ?????? I've sold a bunch of them and everyone thinks they are great.

The Steph's pan is a great pan, but it is wider than a stock pan at the front. I've adjusted the CNC timing covers as much as possible and still hold the seal properly. All you have to do is touch the sheet metal corners of the Stephs pan with a grinder. It takes about 5 minutes and it fits like a glove.

There are lots of shops that would build Bob's motor and give it back after the dyno......

Just had to VENT...... I'm not happy.
Dave

Attachments

• it won't fit.jpg
    it won't fit.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 245

jr.W

Well Known Member
(I asked him to return it about 6 weeks ago and he hasn't responded to my emails...)

Thats not cool.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
My Stef's will need some massaging for it to fit but doesn't look like a big deal. My stock timing cover is pretty tight on it too.

Wonder if it was a generous or conservative dyno?

His pand looks like it has an extra baffle over the front part of the sump that mine doesn't.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My Stef's will need some massaging for it to fit but doesn't look like a big deal. My stock timing cover is pretty tight on it too.

Wonder if it was a generous or conservative dyno?

His pand looks like it has an extra baffle over the front part of the sump that mine doesn't.

sounds generous Skip. Throw it in a full size street Chevy and shoot down the 1/4.......................true power number will be revealed :coffee:

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Just had to VENT...... I'm not happy

Having said that......

We talked about the build at Richmond Engines yesterday. We haven't got the magazine up here yet so I'm just useing the information posted. Jim says yes, with the parts that are in the engine 650 HP isn't out of the question. Realistically the compression is probably higher than 11 to 1 but other than that it's probably right. It's in the 435 cubic inch range and has really good top quality sh!t...... there is at least one that we know of and probably more 409 strokers owned by members that would probably do over 700 HP if you cranked them to 7000 RPM. Put the vacuum system on them, thin rings, more cam, more porting etc.......... and some of the other stuff and away you go....... as Phil say it's all cubic dollars.

If Ronnie had those parts and a dyno to play with for the day he'd get 650 HP........ (and he'd put the timing cover on)

Dave

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
was this done on pump fuel? And don't say yea 100 octane pump fuel. I have friends that think 100 octane is pump gas :roll

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
was this done on pump fuel? And don't say yea 100 octane pump fuel. I have friends that think 100 octane is pump gas

I guess it just depends on where the pump is. :roll:roll:roll:roll:roll

Dave

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I'm sorry I realize thin rings,vacuum pump, big cam, 3" spacers will make a little more HP , but I agree let's see the mph. Alot of those magazione dynos just can;t run the number. One of CC BBC Chevelles is mid 11s and has 100 more HP than my pump gas motor in the TA running high 10s.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I had the chance to read a friends copy of the article and with my old age problem, I need to buy my own copy so I can read it several times. The thinner rings and vacuum pump intrigue me . Even a dry sump system would be something I would like to look into. Hope Barry wins the lottery. The carb. spacers in the picture look like 2 inch to me. Maybe a mis-print? Maybe not, I don't know. In a related articl::: September issue of Muscle Car Review has an article titled,," Budget Chevy 409 Block Machining "... Should have been titled " Huge , Expensive, High Budget 409 Chevy Block Machining"... They brag they bought a 409 truck block for $400, then proceeded to show what they had to do to it. I would guess $2,000 machine work at a minimum. Guess it depends on what one calls " budget" ???? :dunno

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
sounds generous Skip. Throw it in a full size street Chevy and shoot down the 1/4.......................true power number will be revealed :coffee:

Chevytaylor, you hit it right on the money!!! There have been more big "horsepower" cars show up at the track and end up going home with there head between their legs because the numbers at the track don't lie!!!:eek:

Interesting example, 2 weeks ago a friend ran his LS6 chevelle in a pure stock event and the other car a Ram Air IV firebird, ran exactly the same ET 12.67 but the mph differed by 2, the difference was automatic vs. stick. That mph difference continued for the other two runs.

kevin

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Gotta call BS on something

Something that concerns me in the parts and clearances section on the last page of the article. The listed piston-to-cylinder wall clearance is .005". Whatever stuff these guys are smokin' must be killer! I've used "box and strut" pistons in NASCAR engines for 8 years, from CP's to JE's, even Bill Miller's. The least piston-to-wall clearance we used was .011" (eleven thousandths!). The reason being that a box-and-strut piston doesn't have the security of a full skirt. Look at that small half-skirt in the piston pictures, those pistons requires a lot more rock to them than a full-skirt piston. A full skirt piston has a bit of "spring" to it, the load is displaced over the entire skirt and is much more forgiving. The box and strut design, while lighter, does not have much spring due to it's semi-skirt and strut design. The load on the skirt is transferred to the internal struts under the dome of the piston and, by their design, do not give. If that engine doesn't have upwards of .008-.009" piston-to-wall clearance or more, watch out. Somebody's gonna be changing pistons really soon! Jeremy