650hp from a 348 block

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jeremy, I read somewhere recently that NASCAR cup piston rings are about $1,000 a set. Is that true?

BubbletopMan

Well Known Member
Ronnie, that is probably true. I've never sat down and looked at the price of piston rings we use. I do know that a couple of years ago, everybody got to using these Napier-style rings manufactured in Japan. It's what Hendrick was using then, and everyone kinda followed suit. We had those guys in the shop a few times, boy they would cuss up a storm in Japanese when we did something they didn't like! Funny as hell to hear 3 or 4 of them cussing in Japanese! There's so much power to be gained in the ring-pack that it is and will always be a place for constant study and refinement. The hot ticket right now is a .7 mm top ring. Also, the top ring groove in the piston is coated to prevent galling. Try squaring up a .7mm ring in a 4.190 bore to check the end gaps! Jeremy

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Interesting example, 2 weeks ago a friend ran his LS6 chevelle in a pure stock event and the other car a Ram Air IV firebird, ran exactly the same ET 12.67 but the mph differed by 2, the difference was automatic vs. stick. That mph difference continued for the other two runs.

And just think that RAIV is 54 Ci smaller!

poison ivy

Well Known Member
budget engine

what is an educated guess for the complete cost of parts and labor, machining, assembly, dyno, and tuning to develop the engine? poison ivy

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My guess would be about $16,000, maybe a little more............ but that might not be an educated guess

Dave

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I didn't see any note of swapping out the Eddy valves to us the heavy roller springs. Eddy waffles on if they wil hold up. Ferrera that makes many of the Eddy valves also waffles on which quality Eddy uses-"they are made to Edlebrock's spec's".

So to not take a chance on my project I just got some Ferrera 6000 series 1.77 Pontiac valves to turn down to 1.72. Almost the same length. Already had larger Manley intakes.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Someone mentioned the 3" spacers looked like 2" ones. I thought the same thing and we are right......BUT then I looked closer and saw they used them on top of a 1" spacer.....so a total of 3" of carb spacing. They should make this stuff clearer. Ya never know what they are adding or leaving out. A new Car Craft article about a GM 502 that is rebuilt to a 509" with a solid roller says they reused alot of the original parts including the oil pan. They even show it in a couple pics and the captions say the GM oil pan, but it is clearly aftermarket Moroso or Milodon. A small thing, but just the most recent example.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
My old machinist build a motor a few years ago that ended up in a magazine article. Funny thing the cam and several other parts brands were changed to one that bought more advertising space! Not an uncommon.

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
(I asked him to return it about 6 weeks ago and he hasn't responded to my emails...)

I want to let everyone know that Joe Sherman did return my timing cover. I recieved it on Saturday.

Dave

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That price is a steal. Hope someone here can take advantage of it. :beerbang

Ronnie, I just did.:deal
The Pontiac needed an engine. It's a 61 so the 348 seemed appropriate. We added up the numbers and figured that this engine would cost us less than building a new one. So I guess well find out how it runs in the spring.:scratch:pray

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
excellent purchase! I was trying to get some money in order myself in the hopes I could buy that motor and sell off the 409 stuff I have been buying to offset it some but just came up short. Should be a great motor! :deal

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Congrats to both Jim and Jim!

Now that you've got a "magazine engine" for the Pontiac, you can focus on getting her body and frame ready for installation :). Given the level of quality that you two are known to turn out, the results should be spectacular!

Now you're going to have to make decisions about which vehicle to haul to Thompson with that new rig :).

Cheers, and congratulations!
TomK

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Jim, Will you pick the engine up or have it shipped?? If it is shipped, will Sherman give you a detailed description of the build? How many pulls? What it took to make adjustments? Did the engine come with carbs. and vacuum pump? Man!! What a great deal you got. I am so happy that one of " our guys " bought that engine. Congrats,, you guys are gonna have some fun with that one. :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Ronnie, I just did.:deal
The Pontiac needed an engine. It's a 61 so the 348 seemed appropriate. We added up the numbers and figured that this engine would cost us less than building a new one. So I guess well find out how it runs in the spring.:scratch:pray

Talk about reason to attend the 2010 Thompson Raceway Park 409 shootout, here it is. :beerbang

Jim409_Pontiac

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Ron:
We will have the engine shipped.
We are buying it complete the way it came off the dyno,with carbs and vacuum pump. I will try and get all dyno sheets and info on the build I can get.