69 C10 stepside cab R&R and the last resto (for this one)

bobs409

Administrator
These trucks came with just a red oxide bottom so that's what I'm going with, I did the same on the wrecker project. Will be a few areas I'll have to get once I take my redneck 2x4 roll-able cart off but primer blends well. :crazy Next up is the inside firewall and floor. Then I visit my local paint supplier for some Sail Blue acrylic urethane. I'll be glad when this is done! :thud

DSCN2634.jpgDSCN2635.jpgDSCN2636.jpgDSCN2637.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Floor is done. I cleaned and scuffed it before priming. Not long before paint now.

DSCN2657.jpg
DSCN2658.jpg

I also got done modifying a B&M star shifter for my truck. It was made for a car (came with my 66 Chevelle SS) so to get some height, I mounted it onto a 4 x 4 steel tube and then fabricated a tall sheet metal console for it from 18ga sheet steel. I also made a new diamond top plate for it and some B&M vinyl decals for both sides. Much better than the POS plastic one shown below for comparison.

DSCN2653.jpg
DSCN2654.jpg
DSCN2655.jpg
DSCN2656.jpg
DSCN2660.jpg
DSCN2661.jpg
DSCN2662.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Thankfully I can say it's ON!!! What a PITA that was doing by myself!! I could have used those 3 friends mentioned earlier but all my friends are online. :D

The first day it took me ALL day just to get the cab lifted up and placed on the rear frame rails. I then spent the next day inching it forward just past the rear tires and today, I picked it back up with the engine crane and rolled the chassis backward. (cab wanted to tip forward a few times but I kept it together...) Went decent so I put the box back on too. All done before 2PM. (started to rain so I quit for the day, plus I'm about ready to drop over...)

Now the fun work begins. I'm so glad to be at this point! The weather was hell to do the paint, the cab was HELL to keep level, just a lot of HELL! :D

DSCN2702.jpgDSCN2703.jpgDSCN2704.jpgDSCN2705.jpgDSCN2706.jpgDSCN2707.jpgDSCN2708.jpgDSCN2715.jpgDSCN2716.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
why no paint on the backside

Just cheap. :D Actually, I'm doing this in about 3 stages. This was a big job so I didn't want to over do it since I have other projects that need my attention soon. (63 for one!) Having 10 vehicles can be a bit taxing some times. :tired

I'm planning on pulling the front clip, engine and trans for another "installment" to detail everything and throw a few new parts in and the box again so I can detail the frame and replace one rotted trailing arm. I am also considering an oak floor or ? since it will be garaged from now on. I already have new stainless strips and bolt kit for it. When it was outside, I wouldn't even consider doing that, would have been a mess! Notice I did put in some pressure treated lumber that I "stained" with some old blue paint I had. Some boards curled a bit...

And I can finally buy my last set of bumpers and door handles! I replaced them twice so far (3 times on the handles!) Repro stuff doesn't hold up to weather!

bobs409

Administrator
Getting closer to cruising again. :D Got all the paint cut and buffed the other day so today I installed the gas tank, carpet, seat, belts and driver door. Hope to have the new windshield and back glass in tomorrow and maybe the front end. Starting to get back some of my garage space!!!

DSCN2720.jpgDSCN2721.jpgDSCN2722.jpgDSCN2723.jpg