a 983 GMC used to be a tandem axel

409 wagon

Canadian truck I guess , and yes it will be getting ac , weve hit 55 below C up here in the winter, but also 42c in the summer , its a dry cold and heat though.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Truck 409's have those decals on the valve covers but the block and heads were painted gray-green from the factory.

409 wagon

definitely not this one, no green on the block heads or intake or oil pan, was that a GMC or Chevy thing, or could it be a Canadian thing. That's why these forums help with info, im to young to remember all the details of this stuff, only fifty.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Don's right, that being a 64,5 or 6, it should have a 305 or 351. I don't remember if the Toro-flow was still available then or not. I don't know if I have any sales brochures on GMC's, just Chevy's like mine. I'm pretty sure whoever put the 409 in it probably painted it orange

409 wagon

the 09 is original to the truck its listed on the tag on the kick along with the transmission and axels, I thought the motor must have been redone because when I pulled the pan the crosshatch was visible, the block number matches the serial number on the truck.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
If you by chance have the owners manual, it lists the paint colors for each available engine. That's how I knew the gray- green was correct for mine. Since you still have the kick panel tag and the numbers match, it must be original. It has to be a Canadian thing.
Out of curiosity, what does the horsepower read for the 409, mine shows 252.

I have a 1964 C-80 Chevy that I will be pulling the 09 out of in the near future, all truck engines that I know of had the high torque decals I will check to see if the vin is stamped and I think mine is a 252 HP.