A Day In The Office

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Good news bad news at the office, the Cadillac owner can't afford to have me work on the bad wiring harness so he is towing it off.
The bad news I get to pull the cylinder head off this PT Cruiser. The car was built by so magazine I heard. So I spent half the day just getting the Wippel Charger off. :thud
20190425_094307 (2).jpg
20190425_094251 (2).jpg
20190425_151008 (2).jpg
20190425_150950 (2).jpg

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
This fancy aftermarket set up has a very bad port match up :scratch
20190426_112819 (2).jpg
It does move the injectors to the bottom of the ports.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
That wasn't so bad. half a day work and the head is off.
4 bad intake valves. Number 4 piston looked funny so I pulled it out, but didn't show much. But this got me to thinking, generally when you go to forced induction or nitrous one should open up the ring gap. Something tells me that this aftermarket kit probably didn't address this. :dunno2
20190429_122534 (2).jpg

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That wasn't so bad. half a day work and the head is off.
4 bad intake valves. Number 4 piston looked funny so I pulled it out, but didn't show much. But this got me to thinking, generally when you go to forced induction or nitrous one should open up the ring gap. Something tells me that this aftermarket kit probably didn't address this. :dunno2
View attachment 70203
When I told my builder I wanted forced induction, he had a cheat sheet which indicated how much to gap the rings. I know it was based on pressure/PSI, but off hand I don't know how much the gap was.

Here is an article I found:
http://blog.wiseco.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-ring-gap

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My 68 Datsun roadster had the same carbs. Once I rebushed them, I got the carbs adjusted pretty well. But it did take some fiddling and lots of reading.:D

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Put a sign out front,, No foreign cars please.....:crazy
Why,Those Datsuns were simple and reliable.There's no real problems with the early 240 carbs,the early 74 260's were troublesome due to "smog"restrictions,they went to a better carb design in mid 74.Looks like a good place for a W engine.