a few action shots

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
a friend took these at capitol raceway friday evening. the place is 20' above sea level so the engine was quite happy....but the track is kinda slippery. managed to sqeeze a 10.47 (spinning at launch and second gear) and 132.06 mph out of the old "Loving Chevrolet" as it is now called.
some of my family showed up and my recently deceased brothers ashes were on board for 3 passes. (he's in a .30 cal ammo can) :roll
some of you know how long and hard it has been to get this far. after i fix the loose nut between the steering wheel and gas pedal......i think there is more in it.

2fixed.jpg

3fixed.jpg

1fixed.jpg

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Way to go Bob!!!! We all know it's been difficult. Bet "both of you" had big smiles on your faces after each race!!!!

Keep it up!!!!

As for the loose nut, try a torque reading of either 348 or 409 foot pounds and everything will be ALL RIGHT!!!!

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Great pictures Bob, Nothing like a sunny Friday afternoon at the drag strip. That is a beautiful automobile. :clap:clap

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Bob,way to go !!! Car looks great,looks like the 2 of you had a great time running the quarter.I hope to see that bad boy run in person at Capitol in October for the East Coast Regional Nostalgia Drags and Show on Oct.12th.Car reminds me of those awesome Z-11 bodies of the past. John

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Great that you could get out and enjoy the car Bob. The Chevy looks very "low" and very"mean" :beerbang Looks like it is ready to kick someones a$$ :mad:

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Bob: I hope to get over there during the Oct drags. Good looking pictures.
robert

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
thanx guys for the kind words. it's my life-long dream starting to come true.

anybody have one of those slide rule calculators? if so, here are the vital signs: i'd be curious to now what kinda power it takes to push this brick a buck thirty two.

weight with driver and fuel: 3475
469 cu.in. 1 X 4bbl
4500 stall with t-400 stock ratios: 2.48 low? 1.70 something second?
4.57 gear
10.5 X 28 tall tires 10.47 ET @132 mph

( i NEVER thought it would go that fast) however, i cant let it go 135 without spending big bux for a license and all the safety certs. it's just not worth it to me for going a little faster. now if i can hang a real engine and a bottle on it.........and put it in the 8's, thats another story.

I have FULL INTENTIONS of making Capitol on oct 12. thats the day after my 50th B-Day. see you there.
I'll be the first man on my branch of the family tree to make 50.
father: 49 bone cancer from accident
brother: 47 pancreatic cancer (my wife caught me crying while strapping my brothers ash can to the rollcage) Tommy and i raced everything we ever had together or against each other. we had a good day at the races wish you were there.

P.S. if it resembles any of those old Z-11s.........then i got what i wanted. .....a tribute to the men and machines of that era.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
from my old memory Bob you accomplished your goal. I have a similar Z-11 crawling around my office!! I have on the 12th to go to capital(without car and trailer) Let's hope some other area members can make it:hug
robert

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Bob, I had to guess your 60' time.

RWHP from ET. 615.89
RWHP from MPH. 623.78
Break HP from ET. 739.068
Break HP from MPH. 748.36
Max G's acceleration. 1.913
Hook factor. 1368.84

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Excellent!

Bob, you've accomplished your goal with that build!

The pics are simply awesome, I'll have to look at the video next :).

Congrats on the impending 50th, it's quite a milestone, may there be many more in your future. When you get to be "retirement age" that's when all the fun starts over :).

Cheers!

TomK

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Too fast for the cameraman. Bet your brother enjoyed that ride.:clap:clap To run those times with those memories is a wonderful thing.

Thanks for sharing that.

Don

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
An old hp calculation I have used is Weight X 200 divided by ET cubed. 3475 X 200 = 695000. 10.47 cubed is 1147.73. 695000 divided by 1147.73 is 605.54 HP.

I would add 40 HP for TH400 drag and add 3% for rear end drag. =664.9 Crank HP.

This formula came out of a magazine and I have used it since the mid 70s.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
thanx..........I think?
the engine made 906 hp on the dyno. the only change from then till now is the removal of the tunnel ram and one of it's dominators. I replaced it with a fully ported Dart.
most calculators put power around 750 at the crank and i would believe that.
is it possible that your calculation of 664 is not crank but at the rear wheels?