A Little Maintenance and beautification on my 63 4dr

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Back when I worked in the shop, I really enjoyed alignments on the now older cars. Shimmed and sliding upper control arms were fun and easy jobs and I took pride in setting everything to spec or even tweaking some to take up for road crown.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
All of which the newer crappy cars probably put an end to. Right? :irk
In a way. The newer bigger circus wheels with no way to clamp on ,so can't align those. The new alignment computer they now have has a slip around tire apparatus. They retired the alignment machine I used when I retired mainly because it didn't not tell them how to align cars.:D They did add a computer alignment rack in the new addition several years before I retired(thinking ahead) and it always had issues.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The coated headers are back on. Everything is buttoned up, I hope. I did run into an issue with a set of header gaskets I had in my box of gaskets. I have no idea of the manufacturer, but they suck. Not even close to the right port size and location. Luckily I saved/ found all six of my Edelbrock gaskets that I removed with the headers. Had to remove the s#!t gaskets and reuse the Edekbrock gaskets(with a light skim of high temp silicone). I'll fire it up tomorrow drop back on the floor and get a few pictures. Here are a couple pics up of the crap gaskets.
20190704_194431.jpg20190704_194439.jpg20190704_194446.jpg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I like to use manifold gaskets on headers that have the metal in/on them. I never had one of them blow out! :D
Same here Bob. I planned on using the Edelbrock gaskets over, from the start. But I couldn't find all six gaskets at the time I was bolting the headers on. Then after the pos gaskets were leaking, I searched even harder for the missing gasket. Low and behold, I found the missing gasket on top of the inner fender, back under the fender. Why I pushed it back under there when I was taking the headers off, I'll never know. The Edelbrock gaskets are a really nice set and have a metal mesh core and fit the port shape very nice.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Finally received a pic of the headers I asked about. I think these still have the issue you encountered. Where does this"knot" that sticks out hit?
Jeff

Attachments

• Dougs header 2ebaywrong.jpg
    Dougs header 2ebaywrong.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Dougs header 2Aebaywrong.jpg
    Dougs header 2Aebaywrong.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Dougs header 2Bebaywrong.jpg
    Dougs header 2Bebaywrong.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 16

Toms63SSQB

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Jeff, i had Dougs headers that hit the frame. It's not so much that the header "sticks out" as it is that a indentation or bend in the header isn't there. The header hits the frame with the 1 or 4 pipe. I was able to indent the pipe enuf to clear the frame with about a credt card clearance. I have since taken them off and installed the 923/925 exhaust manifolds.