A winter storm is coming!

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Living here in south Texas, I know some of you are more used to the winter weather than I am. However, when we get bad weather coming through, it usually heads East after us and is usually nasty everywhere along the way.

Brace yourselves - a winter storm is coming and it is going to be ugly! As a reference, the San Antonio area is usually in the 50's & 60's this time of year, with occasional dips into the 40's. Today's high will be 30 and is currently at 27 (wind chill of 18). Plus we have ice on the roads, trees, power lines, etc. Interstate 10 a couple of miles from my house is closed, as well as several of the state highways near me. We will not be above freezing until next Thursday when the temperature reaches a high of 34. Sunday has a forecast for 3-4" of snow at my house (Snow? What's that?). Monday has a high forecast of 19 and a low of 7 (that is air temperature, not wind chill). I would expect that the ugliness will continue its travel eastward over the next week. Stay safe!

John

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Jed, sounds almost as bad as if a hurricane was coming through! And I’m sure you don’t have vehicles to remove snow and ice from the highways. Good luck be safe, and pray for Global warming!!!!
I hope you guys have plenty of groceries stocked up because I’m sure the trucks won’t be able to bring them to the stores, we’re kind of used to it around here in Central Missouri lots of ice and snow at times. That’s why I have a big freezer and a generator. And several heat sources from my house, wood stove,fireplace, And I made this propane heater cart where I can move this 30,000 BTU heater where it’s needed most. 30 pound LP bottle runs for 25 hours straight. I have several bottles. Just a thought for a back up in bad weather! I can also leave the bottle outside the house with the long hose I put on it and put a towel in the window to seal it up and then the bottle is not in the house. Good luck keep warm and be safe.

Attachments

• 4244AC5F-ACEF-497E-B29E-C2C62C508BAB.jpeg
    4244AC5F-ACEF-497E-B29E-C2C62C508BAB.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 18
  • D5474B86-7DAB-4E65-82D3-1C384C13D1F3.jpeg
    D5474B86-7DAB-4E65-82D3-1C384C13D1F3.jpeg
    55.1 KB · Views: 19
  • EBB5B004-D9AE-4BEC-A07F-11756C055EC3.jpeg
    EBB5B004-D9AE-4BEC-A07F-11756C055EC3.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I was looking at the weather channel and saw that, along with all the vehicle pileups. My siblings are in the KC and Chillicothe Mo. area and have sub zero temps so I am glad to be here in eastern NC! we have cold rain and 36 here but an ice storm in progress about 40 miles NW of us. This “global warming“ is terrible!

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I grew up in upstate NY. I have to laugh (cry) when it gets down to freezing here. They do not have any ice/snow removal equipment. Instead they put gravel (yes, gravel) on the bridges. If you don't slide on the ice, you will on the gravel. PLUS, it has the added benefit of being thrown through your windshield and all over your front end by the car/truck in front of you for weeks after the ice. :confused

Tooth

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Between Columbia and Moberly Missouri the temperature was -5 with a windchill of -20. Chillicothe is only about 65 miles from me through the country. I think Kirksville set new records for Lowe’s last night and it’s usually about 10° cooler up by the Iowa line.
I’m sure Dave Coots will let us know what it’s like in Iowa today!

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I grew up in Chillicothe and was there for the 3 years that set records for lows and I think snow 76,77,78 and maybe 79?
the whole world seemed to be cold then! I don't miss the winters there but I do miss the rolling hills and the fall leaves.

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Tooth, one of my brothers lives in Kirkland, his daughter was Miss Missouri a couple years ago. She and her husband are in Columbia now. I think her husband works for a local TV station there.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Stay safe everyone. I was pretty hopeful of global warming as the last few winters were pretty mild here. :D But this winter, we still have about 18" of snow left on ground from a 30" snow fall two weeks ago. Temps in the single digits last few mornings. Hasn't been higher than the 20's for a while. They're calling for near 40 end of next week. :pray

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Living here in south Texas, I know some of you are more used to the winter weather than I am. However, when we get bad weather coming through, it usually heads East after us and is usually nasty everywhere along the way.

Brace yourselves - a winter storm is coming and it is going to be ugly! As a reference, the San Antonio area is usually in the 50's & 60's this time of year, with occasional dips into the 40's. Today's high will be 30 and is currently at 27 (wind chill of 18). Plus we have ice on the roads, trees, power lines, etc. Interstate 10 a couple of miles from my house is closed, as well as several of the state highways near me. We will not be above freezing until next Thursday when the temperature reaches a high of 34. Sunday has a forecast for 3-4" of snow at my house (Snow? What's that?). Monday has a high forecast of 19 and a low of 7 (that is air temperature, not wind chill). I would expect that the ugliness will continue its travel eastward over the next week. Stay safe!

John
I want to feel sorry for anyone down south and shed a tear but they froze months ago. We are at a balmy -18 wind chill today. Tomorrow is supposed to hit -25. Should be fun. I expect a couple more calls on frozen engines. I lived in Dallas for 4 years for school and just laughed at people.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Here in Wisconsin we’ve been about two weeks with single digits during the day and negatives every night ......I think we’ve had above average snowfall this year I’m sure of it but we were very mild up until the last two weeks

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I grew up in Chillicothe and was there for the 3 years that set records for lows and I think snow 76,77,78 and maybe 79?
the whole world seemed to be cold then! I don't miss the winters there but I do miss the rolling hills and the fall leaves.
Ohio?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I've spent a few hours each of the last 4 days underneath a crawl space of a 110 year old house my son now owns. I've been taking care of it the past 40 years, now he owns it. But he is 120 miles away in a warm heated house and my butt is in the snow and ice thawing his pipes out :). What's up with that?

We put heat tape and insulation on al the pipes years back when I tore the kitchen floor up but that stuff apparently has a limited life span. Dang it's cold out here, definitely negative temps wind chill! I've got the kerosene heater going while I'm under there so it's not too bad. The hard part is crawling on your belly while carrying new heat tape and insulation... And getting in an out of a two foot by three foot crawl space entry :(.

Stay safe! TomK