Aftermarket distributor choices..

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No,the Pertronics will work fine with your stock plug gap of .035. Just make sure to by pass the ballast resister so the ignition system gets full battery voltage.Many of the Pertronix units can use the stock cap.Just make sure that you order one with the female cap terminals.

matt59

Need some help I hooked up my jump box wrong what did i burn out?
348 with a pertronix 3 ignition won't start.
I pulled a spark plug and checked it for spark it has spark. Whats should i check next?
I replaced the battery

I Checked for volts 12 with the key on. When i crank it dropped to 9 volts is that normal

matt59

No,the Pertronics will work fine with your stock plug gap of .035. Just make sure to by pass the ballast resister so the ignition system gets full battery voltage.Many of the Pertronix units can use the stock cap.Just make sure that you order one with the female cap terminals.
So do i run a new wire from the ignition switch to distributor

matt59

Got it running thanks guys.
I noticed the grounds were smoking so i add a thicker wire from the battery to the body. Its stared up time for a wash and oil change. Do you guys add led to the oil and gas?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
If you have non roller lifters, use an oil that has zinc in it or use a zinc additive. If your ground connections to the body are smoking, that may be a sign of a poor negative cable or cable connection to the engine. It maybe too many amps trying to get to then engine/starter through the body grounds.

Last edited:

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
will the Petronix lll module in an original 409 distributor work together with the original 62 tach & sender?

Thanks
Gav