ALUMINUM 62 DASH PANEL / COMPARISON

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Yep, that's 60 and the radial hashmarks usually have some meaning like day, week, months and or shift depending on the specific coding protocols.....like the date code symbols on aluminum bellhousings.
Wondering about the AC cast on this one......could 3777830 be an AC part number and 3780391 be the Chevy part number?
Time to blow your mind! Here is the other aluminum dash.
20220112_164255.jpg

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It gets curiouser and curiouser.....so the symbol on the right looks like an "R" inside a "D" inside a big "C" which to me says possibly Research and Development Center. The three different production date marks for 60, 61, and 62 might indicate sporadic production for evaluation purposes over the 61-early 62 time frame. Now to decode the marks in the date circles.....60 looks like 12 dots with one empty space, 61 appears to be 12 dots with a mix of large and small dots while 62 shows only 6 dots possibly indicating a short run in 62 which makes sense. Not sure why all three date marks are shown on this obviously late run part other than to show the production history record of this limited production part.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Another guy just got back to me with pictures of two of his 61' dashes. One is casting number 3790391-1 the other has no casting number at all. Both of them are pot metal. The one with the missing number he is going to look it over with a light and see if he can find any casting number anywhere on it other than the panel under the ash tray/lighter.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It gets curiouser and curiouser.....so the symbol on the right looks like an "R" inside a "D" inside a big "C" which to me says possibly Research and Development Center. The three different production date marks for 60, 61, and 62 might indicate sporadic production for evaluation purposes over the 61-early 62 time frame. Now to decode the marks in the date circles.....60 looks like 12 dots with one empty space, 61 appears to be 12 dots with a mix of large and small dots while 62 shows only 6 dots possibly indicating a short run in 62 which makes sense. Not sure why all three date marks are shown on this obviously late run part other than to show the production history record of this limited production part.
What does the AC stand for? AC Delco? I haven't looked at casting numbers before so this is all new to me.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
What does the AC stand for? AC Delco? I haven't looked at casting numbers before so this is all new to me.
Yes

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3

Yes
Again, still learning. Why is AC Delco making parts separate from GM castings with their logo on them? Was AC Delco just another supplier back in the early 60's?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
AC Delco was part of GM but also a supplier of mostly electrical/instrument equipment. They had their own part numbering system since they also sold parts to other users.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Looking more at that 61 dash I linked from ebay and the more I look the more I think it looks more like aluminum corrosion spots than pot metal. The price is right but the shipping is a killer. It's in Iowa so maybe it close to Randy or Dave or anybody else there?
The back side of the Ebay dash in Iowa doesn't have the green primer my dashes have and the one Dennis has too. Probably good old fashion pot metal corrosion. You can see the green primer best on the inside corners of this dash.
20210801_115247.jpg

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
So I looked through all of my dashes and have five, four are canadian and one is american, All of the Canadian ones do not have the scallops on the bottom and are pot metal, none of my dashed are aluminum, It would appear that the ones that are not scalloped are Canadian,. and by that I mean that they are the flat variety, So this is not a way to tell if aluminum or not, maybe other Canadians can chime in and verify the style. may be that the Canadian version is the same casting mold style of the aluminum one, just more wood for the fire!!! I just think its interesting if nothing else!

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So I looked through all of my dashes and have five, four are canadian and one is american, All of the Canadian ones do not have the scallops on the bottom and are pot metal, none of my dashed are aluminum, It would appear that the ones that are not scalloped are Canadian,. and by that I mean that they are the flat variety, So this is not a way to tell if aluminum or not, maybe other Canadians can chime in and verify the style. may be that the Canadian version is the same casting mold style of the aluminum one, just more wood for the fire!!! I just think its interesting if nothing else!
Great news! That is super helpful. The more we can narrow down the the better the information. Thanks for taking the time to check them over. Can you post any photos of the casting numbers and stamps so we can compare them? Also do you happen to know what kind of cars they came out of too? Thanks again!

Mr. Chev

Well Known Member
I have two in the house and will take pictures, one is american I recieved from the guy I got the 348 from came from his 61 usa built car and has the scalloped bottom and the other one was given to me from a friend and Ill have to look closely to see if its a 61 or 62 and the other 4 actually are in the cars still three are 61s and one is a 62 all canadian built cars, I wont be able to get pictures of those ones as they are still bolted in and two are in the yard and I live in northern Canada with 6 feet of snow in my back yard, I trudged out there yesterday and was able to feel along the bottom of the dashes and they are non scalloped and I could tell by the castings they are not aluminum, but will slueth some more today.