aluminum oil pan

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Show Cars have aftermarket steel ones. A friend of mine has one & it's good.

Dave

JimKwiatkowski

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Dennis is the person who had custom made aluminum oil pans from Stef's.

See the Thread below.

http://www.348-409.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8177&highlight=stef's

Show Cars also sell the Stef's aluminum pan.

5910.jpg

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Stef's definitialy not cast finned alum pan. That's race stuff.

If they eved made one it would have been an old Moon or Mr Gasket possibly, but i have no idea if it was ever made.

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
My Steff's pan has fins on the bottom! OK...OK, they are rolled beads, but they are close. :D

BTW - the pan comes with pick up, magnetic plug and bolts - and the price tag.

TomO

Most people that tried to run the aluminum pans found that the pan itself was adversely affected by engine vibration. Oil pan gasket failure was common on engines that were higher performance, because the aluminum had different harmonics than the cast iron blocks. This harmonics difference doesn't seem to affect aluminum heads/valve covers, but aluminum oil pans sure didn't like it.

If you decide to try an aluminum oil pan, you should very strongly consider using studs and nuts to hold it to the block, NOT bolts.

Even Top Fuelers and Funny Cars use steel oil pans.

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Oh no, we're not getting sucked into that whole gasket stud thing again. For the sanity of us all its got to stop, I hate soap operas.

Just uses lots of sealer and loctite and it will all be good.

Bill

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
J & J are you looking to use a cast finned alum oil pan on a Top Fuel or Funny car?:roll
I don't know about the Top Fuel but that WOULD certainly make it a "funny car"!

moes409

Well Known Member
Aluminum Oil Pans

I have a Stef's on my 62 SS. My experience for anyone considering installing one on (I assume) Any X frame with a 409 is that I had to shim the motor mounts 1/4 " for the pan to clear the crossmember by less than a 3/16". Would have been nice to know that before attemping to drop the engine in.:cuss

petepedlar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
As far as trouble with harmonics etc. I don't think it's a problem. I've had a cast aluminum oil pan on my 383 stroker in my boat for about 5 years now & no issues at all.

Dave

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
As far as trouble with harmonics etc. I don't think it's a problem. I've had a cast aluminum oil pan on my 383 stroker in my boat for about 5 years now & no issues at all.

Dave

Cast aluminum oil pans in marine conversions is common practice as they usually have a much larger capacity and no cross members to deal with. They also have four adjustable motor mounts and unless the alinement between the transmission and shaft coupler is out should have no harmonics. Marine engines are run at a steady rpm for long periods in a confined space and need the larger capacity along with a oil cooler.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Moe, I'm not quite sure why you had to shim. There is a differance in 409 motor mounts and small block however I have used small block mounts on 409s and have had no issues. Maybe there is a small height diffeance. The stock pan seems to be larger in all areas. Have used Stef's on 2 different engines over the last 6 years with no negative issues at all.

Attachments

• DSCF0637.jpg
    DSCF0637.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 58

moes409

Well Known Member
Aluminum Oil Pans

Ronnie,
Thanks for the input. I cannot explain other than (like many other parts) the first set of mounts I bought "for 62 409" did not fit over the cross member mounts.:scratch One side would bolt up but no way for the opp. side. I ran to Napa while the engine hung on the rented hoist and got a their mount. Then all worked well except the newly powder coated pan was sitting on the cross member.:cuss Based on your experiences maybe the cross member mounts are incorrect.:dunno I do know that this entire restoration project has been very frustrating because of parts not fitting and poor quality. :bang I could write a book. I am new here an will post some pictures when I figure it out. :cheers

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am new here an will post some pictures when I figure it out. :cheers

moes, Welcome to the site and if you have not introduced yourself please take the time to do so and tell us a little bit about yourself and your car. We all like pics.:deal

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Moe, Sorry, I may have mis-lead you. My experience with the Stef pan is only in a Chevy II chassis. No pan clearance issue at all. I have never used one in x-frame car yet. My opinion is based upon comparing the two , side by side. I cant see how the Step's pan would be a problem. I think several members have used them in stock x-frame cars. Maybe we can get more input from those who have used them in the big car.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've had trouble with the motor mounts too. In my case the problem came from the way the newer mounts have the extra tab that keeps the engine in place if the mount breaks. I had to grind a bit off in order to make it fit. The thing is, it ALMOST fits, so you don't find the problem untill you've actually got the engine sitting in place. :bang