Aluminum Rear Bumper Project

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Jim, not sure how your smoothing the welds but I recently saw a video where a guy used Bee's wax. Hit the flap wheel with some and then sand the welds down. Kept them from loading up.
I've seen where people are using the wax and also soap, but I haven't tried either. I've been using flap wheels made specifically for aluminum. They have some type of coating on them. Several companies carry them, but I've been buying my flap and cut off wheels from Benchmark Abrasives lately. Good prices, fast shipping and the flap wheels are pretty thick and last longer than others I've tried. I got hooked on them when I saw their ad for a free assortment of flap wheels, just had to pay the shipping. It worked. :D

Junky

Well Known Member
I saw one set first hand yesterday. Craftsmanship at it's finest :) :) ).

I saw some guy with a wrapped up hand dragging one around Carlisle trying to get someone to chrome it, but they figured that if someone was foolish enough to try to compete with the China Commies by making a bumper by hand, they could also soak him on the plating costs. I still can't understand why you won't use aluminum bolts. Personally, I would just sand and polish the natural aluminum ang give it a good coat of wax. Junkman

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Well, I really thought I was going to spend some quality time on my 62 rustoration project, but this aluminum stuff keeps calling my name. :D So, just posting an update on the fourth rear bumper. Most of the "heavy" work is done. Now to refine it.20220105_064634.jpg20220105_064625.jpg