American Hot Rod Reunion

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Sounds good to me
1/8 mile but I guess if I picked up in the 1/8 it has to be going faster.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I hope to be there. Got a car show Saturday but I can get up and go to MO-Kan Sunday morning. Guess I don't have to worry about getting up to go to work Monday.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Mearl:

Look for James and myself and our buddy Chris, we should be there with the BA409 car. Might be heading out Friday afternoon to run that evening at the Test-n-Tune, then stick around Saturday for Sunday's festivities. Weather looks to be dry, but a bit cool on Saturday. Sunday in the mid 60s.

Cheers!
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
We just got back from MO-Kan Sunday evening around 10:30 PM. While there we met with the Horton's, Floyd and Travis and also with Mearl and his buddy Jim. That was on Sunday.

Friday night we got there on time for test-n-tune and made one pass at I believe 12.26. Second pass detonated the rear chunk :). Went on the trailer early Friday night.

Saturday the four of us (James, Chris, Nathan and myself) went to Carthage for a large car show, some said 500 cars. That afternoon we went over to a local shop and swapped out the rear chunk for a spare James had brought along (more on that later...).

Sunday James made two time trial runs and each time improved a bit. Went out in the second round of eliminations with a dial in of 12.22 and a run of 12.23. The other guy won on reaction time.

A fun weekend was had by all. Pictures to follow after I get them off the cameras :) :) :).

Cheers!
TomK

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Glad you guys got home ok. Jimmy and I got home about 11:30; James will be glad to know that the 62 Ford that beat him went on to win super-stock. Travis and the guy driving Floyd's 55 both red-lit in the finals of their classes. It was 8:00 by the time final eliminations were over.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I guess at some point I need to work on the tree instead of trying to make it go faster.
Oh and just encase you guys wanted to know I got the lead out.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Here are a couple of stills of some of the fun we had.

James and Travis got paired up during time trials, that was fun (I also have the video, but need to upload that elsewhere):

Travis and James staging2.jpg

Here's a shot of James, Mearl and myself :

Mearl and the guys.jpg

I plan to go through the various photos and videos and sort out the best for later :).

Cheers!
TomK

Floyd Horton

Well Known Member
It was really great to meet up with Tom and James and Mearl. I think they would all agree that the turn-out of cars was awesome. I have never seen such a turnout of 8 and 9 second doorslammers at MoKan in all my years of attending there, and that now stretches to 53 years. Travis also had the honor of launching the ashes of our good friend, Bob Patton out of the parachute on an 8:80 and 151 Mph run. Perhaps he can post the video later. Many of Bob's family were present and it was quite dramatic. Come back again soon, Tom - James and Mearl. The 62 Belair posted a best of 11:23 at 115. Seemed to be a few gremlins present as it was off considerably from an earlier 11:02 and 121 posted in April. The 61 Impala had 7 runs varying from 8:80 to 8:84, all at or near 151 Mph.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
We definitely enjoyed our weekend at MO-Kan, and look forward to coming back (a little faster each time :)).

Good to meet and chat with a local legend in the MO-Kan Hall of Fame :) :) :).

Cheers!
TomK

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
It was a heck of a nice day and I always meet good people when I go to these things. Seeing the ashes come out of Travis' chute must have been emotional for a lot of people, one of the neatest things I've seen.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I'm glad that everyone had a fun and safe trip! Thanks for posting the pictures and looking forward to the other pics and video Tom.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Holy crap Floyd, 8.80's. Can you tell us a little bit about the 61 Impala?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Four of us (Chris, Nathan and myself with James at the wheel of the Suburban) departed Columbia just after 1:00 PM Friday afternoon and arrived in the Joplin area by 6:00 PM in time to check in at the LaQuinta before zipping over to the track down the road in Asbury, MO. The track opened at 7:00 PM and was open until 11:00 PM for a Friday night Test-n-Tune. We unloaded the BA 409 right quick and James went through tech and got lined up. There weren’t that many cars there so it appeared that there would be plenty of opportunities throughout the evening. At least for the cars that didn’t break… James went 12.2662 at 106.91 MPH in his first pass and then got back in line.

Second pass had a good burnout in the water box then James lined up the car and she shot craps at the light. Turns out that soldered-up open gave itself up (we all as expected at some point). No damage to the track, we had the car towed back to the trailer and loaded her up. Took a quick cursory look and it appeared internal to the rear end. Had to be either the chunk or the axles, or a little of both. We didn’t have good light in the pits, but we did get an offer from a guy nicknamed “WrenchBender” on the HAMB that James had connected with previously. He had a shop in nearby Waco, MO so we watched him and the others race a bit, then headed over to Waco later that evening.

First we went over to WrenchBender’s house to follow up on some arrangements he and James had over some hemi parts. Then we went to his shop nearby. It was getting late so we parked the trailer in his shop overnight with the idea of getting at it on Saturday. The Hot Rod Reunion was scheduled for Sunday, so we had the day to kill. Found out there was to be a car show in nearby Carthage, MO so we headed over there on Saturday morning. Lots of great cars, including a few “W” builds.

Here is one sweet 1961 SS clone I spotted when we first arrived:
IMG_4214.JPG

And here is a neat '60 Chevy with a "W":
IMG_4217.JPG

And another with tripower:

IMG_4226.JPG

Later that Saturday afternoon we headed over to Waco to meet up with WrenchBender (whose real name is Randy Jackson but he goes by “Jackson”. James had brought a spare pumpkin with 4.88 gears that was also welded up from an open. Good thing because the soldered rear end had given itself to the metallurgy gods taking most of the parts with it.

Here's a shot of James and Jackson diving under the BA409 car:

IMG_4246.JPG

Here’s a shot of the former rear end:

IMG_4249.JPG

One of the axles was OK the left one had a bit of a twist going. WrenchBender zipped back to his place to possibly locate a suitable replacement. James went back under (he was doing all the heavy lifting while we watched and drank beer, a normal division of time and talent for the team) and reassembled the center chunk then installed the RH axle. A few beers later Jackson returned with a candidate axle, but it had a few differences so we went back with the original (and slightly twisted) axle. What the heck, we had to go with what was available!

We left his shop just before midnight and hit the local IHOP before passing out at the hotel. Left the car on the trailer out behind his shop, so we could slip by on the way to the track on Sunday morning without having to inconvenience Jackson. It was lonely out there by itself next to the bean field:
IMG_4259.JPG

Sunday started out well, we picked the trailored BA409 up and headed back to the track where we had just broken down at. James put in two trial runs (got a little better each run ending with a 12.2568 at 107.32) and so he dialed in at 12.26 and took the first round of elimination with a 12.2406 run. I think it was a ’65 Chevelle that he sent home. Next run James dropped the ET on the windshield to 12.22 and good thing because he ran a best of 12.2319 at 107.45. The other guy cut a great light and we headed to the trailer. But the rear end stayed together (at least for a little bit). It is destined to be replaced with a modified Pontiac housing for next year…

A fun time was had by all who attended. Special thanks to Floyd and Travis Horton and to Mearl McBride for the personal connect. We look forward to meeting again at MO-Kan!

Cheers! TomK