Another Flood in Iowa

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I posted what is happening on my birthday thread. We are just finishing up building a 5' dike around the house. Approximately 80 loads of clay.IMG_20160924_091706856_HDR.jpg

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
IMG_20160924_092729935_HDR.jpg IMG_20160924_091818860_HDR.jpg
Will post more pics when I have time. Will be heading to town when done here shortly and help them out with a loader. The big flood push will be here tomorrow nite and Monday nite. I hope my water pumps keep up. Personally,I'm running out of gas...too old for this shit.

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
yes sir, stay safe Dave........ I can't imagine what you're going through right now at least you have the ability to try to protect your home with the pumps and dike....and the equipment that work took.........all things considered your fortunate that way, I guess....... take care......good luck......prayers sent.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You said you was moving everything out of the house??? Where did you move it to?? Do you think 5 foot will be high enough?

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You said you was moving everything out of the house??? Where did you move it to?? Do you think 5 foot will be high enough?
Moved stuff upstairs, 3 storage rentals, and 2 enclosed trailers.
I'm pretty sure the dike will work. Also, they lowered the crest 6". Mary said she had never been so happy over 6" before......:winner

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
That sucks. River cresting? Too much rain?

Will crest here Sunday night.

13 inches of rain above in a short time.

Time to go home for a shower and a short nap. Funeral visitation later today for a good friend later who died from a freak construction accident.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good luck, Dave. As mentioned by others, it is great that you have the equipment and know-how to put up a good battle. I hope the flooding will be much less than forecasted. Will be thinking of you.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You said you had flood in 2008 and it was as high as stove . Did you have to gut your house and garage then?...

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Out at one of my daughter's who lives on the river......higher than us. I can throw a rock 15 feet and hit it, having my birthday party. The fun starts tomorrow, water will be coming in my driveway at daylight. We'll be ok, my wall WILL HOLD. The only problem is I couldn't get Mexico to build it.

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
You said you had flood in 2008 and it was as high as stove . Did you have to gut your house and garage then?...

We used sandbags and raised everything inside up. The water went higher than predicted and inundated the house. This time we hauled most everything out, appliances and all, even with the dike.