Anyone Know How I Can Keep An Original Title???

The Untouchable

I have a 61 that i bought. Has the original illinois title from 61. I really would like keep the original title when i go to apply for a new one. I have another 61 from ilinois and the original title came with the car when i bought it. It says Cancelled on it but i dont care. Its cool i have the original. Does anyone in texas know if its possible to keep the original title when i go to apply for a new one? I went to dmv today and they told me back in the day you were able to keep the original title. They would put a note in the file saying the owner wants to keep the original title. They would just mark it with void. Anyone in texas have any luck with that?

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Make copies of front and back of title. Then take those, a receipt from when you bought it and any other paper work you might have and tell em you’ve lost the title. They may make you jump through hoops to the point that its not worth it. You may have to get what is called a bonded title. I live in Garland! Good luck!

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I don’t know about Texas,but in NH a bill of sale works to register.The first time the town police had to come out and verify the vin and run it to make sure it was not stolen.There is no way I would give up the original title.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I went to the DMV and told them I would like to keep my original 1964 title and would like a replacement title. They said my original would be void. I paid the fee, have the replacement title (like Dave said, just like a lost title) and I still have the original dated 11/1/63. It can stay with the car whoever owns it in the future.

The Untouchable

I went to the DMV and told them I would like to keep my original 1964 title and would like a replacement title. They said my original would be void. I paid the fee, have the replacement title (like Dave said, just like a lost title) and I still have the original dated 11/1/63. It can stay with the car whoever owns it in the future.
I asked the dmv that today and they cant do that. You are lucky.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
If that signed original is the only title, there may not be options. You could keep a copy of it.

Reactions: 327

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
CA allows third-party DMV services, and some of these folks seem to be very good at resolving old-car issues, maybe better than the random employee you get at the office. You pay a little more, but maybe you get what you want. I've never had AAA, but some people do OK with them, too.

Seon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
When I bought by Suburban tow vehicle AAA had me fill out the back of the title then told me I had to have the seller who lives 4 hrs away write and sign a bill of sale. Went to a 3rd party DMV service down the street that registered the Suburban with no questions asked. Cost $55 extra but was worth it to me.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Do what I do in Oregon. Fill out the lost title form, sign the old owners name and go to DMV. I ask someone at DMV once about this ( not saying I was doing it) and the person said it doesn't matter because if there is a problem we now have your name. !

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I’m sure lost titles happen fairly frequently as long as you have a bill of sale just have a title printed…….What are they gonna tell you you can’t use the car

Reactions: 327

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Fill out paperwork for a lost title using the name on the original title. Have them send the title to your "new" address. Sign new replacement title using the name that is on it as seller. Sign your name as buyer and send it in. Voila! You now have a new title in your name and the old title. I have a friend who bought a car when he/she was young and never noticed the title signed by the buyer. The previous buyer. So the title couldn't get sent in. After trying to get in touch with the person it was last registered to and not getting a call back from them, the person needed a new approach. They went to the dmv and applied for a lost title using the name on the front and forged the signature. Then had it sent to themselves. When the new one showed up, they simply forged the title using the name on the front and signed it as buyer and got the car titled.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not very long ago I bought a truck that the owner couldn't find his pink, so they did a lost title and transfer at the same time. The kicker is he was present to sign the form.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Filling out and signing someone else's name may work in some states and long time ago worked in Pa. But now both parties must be present and copies made of both parties drivers licenses, for the record. My local title/tag service doesn't want to touch a title that was signed by the seller and notarized at an earlier time and not in their presence.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In Missouri the DMV in the large town 20 miles away makes you jump thru hoops to do about anything. I can go to a small town 25-30 miles the other direction to a different DMV and things are much different. They are a private fee office meaning they get a small fee for doing your service. That is how they get paid. The big town DMV, the employees are just hourly paid workers and don't give a rats ass about you. I went to one of these small fee offices years ago with 3 different title/plate/somethings to do. I was the only person in line. 3 different ladies each grabbed 1 and I was out of there in no time. Good luck. I can see why you would want the title. That 61 looks like a real gem. Is that a siren or spotlight I see?
Jeff