Are the front wing posts available repro for a 63?

bobs409

Administrator
I was taking apart my wing windows to rebuild them and see they have a few pits on the thick front cast piece that goes against the windshield pillar area. (63 2 door coupe)

Are these available anywhere in repro or do I have to have these redone? That late summer deadline is going, going, going.... :(

Thanks,

Bob

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
I was taking apart my wing windows to rebuild them and see they have a few pits on the thick front cast piece that goes against the windshield pillar area. (63 2 door coupe)

Are these available anywhere in repro or do I have to have these redone? That late summer deadline is going, going, going.... :(

Thanks,

Bob

Ecklers/Late Great Chevy has them-with glass $109.99 each (part #40-241117 & 40-241118--just frame $49.99 a pair (40-165450)

Bob I had my origionals re-chromed, you should do the same, sometimes thr repops just donot fit good.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

bobs409

Administrator
Just got all the glass out of the frames. The quarters were tough but I won the fight. :D

Now a question... I see a few things riveted on to the quarter window frame; rollers, a metal strip with felt on it and a strip under the divider rubber. How do you guys deal with these when having them replated? I doubt the plater will take care of that so I'd guess they would expect all of that removed?

Is there a source for the rollers and all the rivets for these and the vent windows? New screws would be nice too but I can re-use my old ones if needed.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Bob, All that you need is at Late Great Chevy (Eklers) and some at Steel Rubber Products. I got all my items thru Phill, don't know is he will still order things since is retired and a man of leasure.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I removed everything . E ckler's is one place you can get everything too. There are two type's of roller kit ,grooved and non grooved .
561689 is roller kit's. 534040 is rivet's for metal strip for quarter window strip under seal.513016 is quarter window seal Just rivet the little whisker strip back on. Be sure to rivet on metal channel on rear window frame before putting glass in ,you need to access the rear to flatten rivet's. My roller's were frozen any way so i just figured replacing . I don't think a plater can tape these item's off .??????

bobs409

Administrator
Well Tri city doesn't do any pot metal, die cast or aluminum. :( They said to ship the bumpers anytime if I like. Now I need to find a good rear center core.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Justchromeit.com Shipping would be a killer.???????????:dunno2

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Do not buy Fargo brand vent window weatherstrip -that Ecklers sells..... (it does not fit). By Steele products, they fit...
The last set of pot metal window frames(the ones next to the I had done (at a place that does pot metal)they cost over $250 a pair to rechrome

The vertical channel are removed by drilling out the rivits and replacing them with flat head platted [phlips screws(fine thread) with nuts and lock washers(I have pictures)
The flat heads get buried in the fuzzy vertical channels with chrome bead. These veritcal channels with the chrome bead, are not easy to replace. You have to make them look
like the originals for holes to hold the vertical rubber weatherstrip. I think i have pictures.

Do not loose the small compressable clips on the existing curved weatherstrip they need to be transferred to the new curved weatherstrip....Be careful to not break them....
they are clamped to the original curved weather strip -they hold the weatherstrip into the pot metal outside frames....

Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
check out these pictures of the screws/nuts - and the rivits to drill out and replace with screws -much easier and stronger
-note the vertical stainless channel that can be polished and the repair of the vent window controls
DSCN7727.JPG DSCN7728.JPG DSCN7729.JPG DSCN7730.JPG DSCN7731.JPG DSCN7732.JPG

bobs409

Administrator
I'm not having a good day. Was out to the garage and thought I'd put the RH wing glass into the frame and while cleaning it, I noticed burn pits in the glass! I guess at some point, somewhere while sitting around, it got in the way of either welding or grinding sparks and that's that! Now I need a good used clear glass. But what the hell, it's only MORE MONEY! :bang

bobs409

Administrator
Justchromeit.com Shipping would be a killer.???????????:dunno2

Holy smokes! It's not the shipping that scares me, it's the quote I just got from them. :eek3

QUARTER FRAME $200 TO $250 EACH
PILLAR POSTS $185 TO $235 EACH

Is this the norm? Sure glad I was sitting down when I read that. I still feel faint over it. :thud

I wasn't expecting this much. The above translates into $770 to 970 plus shipping. :fear2

bobs409

Administrator
Too bad those wing posts aren't available repro. They are for Chevelles. One place has them for $102 each. Of course OPG is $125! :finger