Arm rest retainer clips in door

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can someone please tell me how to remove these clips without damaging them ?
I need to remove a couple from a parts door I have.
I only have 2. And that’s exactly how many I need.
I’ve been looking at them, and I just don’t see how to remove them without any damage.
The top image is the inside of the door.
The bottom is the interior side.CC12B55A-E545-46FE-9B99-75DBF95931CC.jpeg0220E902-A130-4835-8E7E-8645705219B0.jpeg

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Can someone please tell me how to remove these clips without damaging them ?
I need to remove a couple from a parts door I have.
I only have 2. And that’s exactly how many I need.
I’ve been looking at them, and I just don’t see how to remove them without any damage.
The top image is the inside of the door.
The bottom is the interior side.View attachment 78488
LView attachment 78489[/QUOTe

Looks like you drive it towards the end the has a single tab which will allow the bottom center tab to clear the hole, then just lift out the forked end.

bobs409

Administrator
Appears as though you will have to squeeze it together enough to remove it and then spread it back out to install it. I'd bet that GM had some fancy tool that installed them and they were not really mean't to be R&R'd. Pliers are your friend here. :D

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I’m worried about breaking it, and then I’ll be up the creek. Guess it’s time for some action. Why someone removed these, I don’t know.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
screw drivers and pliers, carefully bend from the outside the top. I have removed a few to save them.
I have some on doors yet to save.
I think I glued them back to the door to reinstall them, since they are hard to get tight when reinstalling them.

Paul

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
screw drivers and pliers, carefully bend from the outside the top. I have removed a few to save them.
I have some on doors yet to save.
I think I glued them back to the door to reinstall them, since they are hard to get tight when reinstalling them.

Paul
Pannel bond would be a good glue to use, that stuff is bad a$$.

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well. It broke. Haven’t messed with the other one yet. I walked away. Spring steel, I had a really bad feeling going into this.
Time to get the Au-ve-co book out.D9B8E137-C8A1-4CD5-9E92-74FCE62E9B55.jpeg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
my experience is to bend the upper section more than the lower part.
I remember bending in increments to minimize the stress and break the clip.
Paul

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a 63 4 door I could try and remove some for you.

Thank you, for the offer! The problem is can you get 2 of them off without breaking them. And if you do get 2 of them off intact, will I be able to install them without breaking them !
This one I took off broke right away. I was trying to pry it off from the top / interior side. Used a very narrow flat blade screwdriver.
That plan didn’t work out so well for me.

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Use some panel bond, clean the surfaces first with some sand paper that stuff is incredible!

JB Weld is what I like to use sometimes. But in this case, I’m not going to chance any kind of bonding material. If I have to, I’ll tack weld a couple metal strips across the slots with new spring steel slide on clips. I don’t really want the armrests to “pop off” at some point.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I took snow day today. If I go to the shop tomorrow, I'll try and get you a hand full.

bobs409

Administrator
You might be able to make them if you have any of that metal banding used in shipping. Usually found on crates. I keep a piece around for the odd need of some.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Just die grind off the single small tab on bottom interior picture that will remove it, then simply put in other door and spot weld where that single tab was. That spot weld just keeps clip from falling in door . The clip will be secured by inner tabs that are still there not from pulling out when you put arm rest on.